[amc] FW: 4th writing

  • From: "Garland Robertson" <lauralarue@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "austin mennonite church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 10:26:05 -0500

Garland shares news from Iraq.  Please continue to keep everyone in this
area in your prayers.
Thank you...

--- Garland Robertson
--- lauralarue@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

structure that serves the powerful and privileged cannot be done by the
timid and the shy.  Raising a voice that declares that discrimination based
upon class and position is an unjust abuse of power comes with a high price.

> Take for example the experience of courageous persons in Iraqi Kurdistan
who gathered this past Feb 17 to express their concern about the
discriminatory way in which powerful leaders in the ruling parties of PUK
and KDP contrive to deny human rights for persons not associated with their
declared privileged position.  The consequences have proven to be
dangerous, even tragic.

> The pattern of governing by practicing discrimination reflects ancient
tribal perspectives still alive and well in the KRG.  Decisions on behalf
of the community are made solely from the perspective of what will be
beneficial for the tribal group.  All others outside this identified
collective are viewed with suspicion and recognized as a potential treat.
Defending the tribe from encroachments on forests and fields is a serious
and important concern.  The tribe must always, at all times, under all
circumstances, be ready and prepared to defend themselves from these
outsiders.

> CPT is interested in all behaviors that punish persons who advocate for
the human rights of persons oppressed and treated as inferior members of
the inclusive community, regardless of the identification that causes the
discriminatory treatment.  Following the protest that continued daily in
Azadi Square until forcefully dispersed on Apr 19 by riot-gear-equipped
security forces, we have learned of several examples of the high cost of
making a country that includes everyone.

> First there is the brutal beating and torturing of a young single man
because of his continual appearance on the public stage in the square.  His
wages were cut, he was bribed as a means of silencing him, and when this
did not work he was abducted by masked men then beaten, cut, and assaulted
so that his nose was broken in three places.  After almost three hours of
abuse he was abandoned 20 miles outside the city and had no recourse but to
walk back while in his wounded condition. Finally a compassionate taxi
driver recognized him and drove him to the hospital.

> There is the example of an attorney, a leader in the planning and
organizing of the protest. He was gunned down as he picked up his car in a
car-park garage.  While he was paying the parking fee someone opened fire
with a hand gun.  Of the five shots fired two hit the attorneyâ??s lower
leg and the others struck a friend who was traveling with him and the
attendant of the car-park garage.  Fortunately they all survived the attack.

> Then there is the example of a woman who was passionately associated with
promoting the protest.  When visiting with us she explained that a list of
200 has been generated by authorities.  This list identifies persons who
are to be assaulted in the future.  The first name on the list is that of
the injured attorney.  All of the individuals on this unpublished list were
directly involved in sustaining the protest.  She explained they may not
all be beaten or shot, however they will be caused to suffer as a
consequence of their presence to speak out against discrimination in
government.  Their names may be slandered, their reputations disgraced, or
some other socially impairing procedure may be circulated about them.  She
fears for her safety.  She is afraid every time she goes out in public.

> This response to unwelcome behaviors of citizens calling for reform and
investigation of power abuse is not limited to the presence of protesters.
It has occurred with journalists who have published embarrassing and
challenging articles.  It has happened to persons working to provide
political alternatives to discriminatory practices that deny equal services
and support for everyone living in this prosperous region.  And now it is
happening to persons raising their voices against power abuses that
withhold resources from those who choose to remain outside the ruling
parties.

> The reality that these kinds of retaliatory measures are not investigated
makes the situation even more dangerous.  When authorities are questioned
about their response to these assaults, they say they are searching for
information and if persons have anything to offer they will receive it.  Or
they describe the attack as the work of unknown persons operating in the
region, or explain that the incident is an honor-oriented event that
results from the necessity for family members to revenge an injury to their
own.

> Tribal ways are deeply engrained and provide an easy and uncomplicated
way of structuring and managing community.  But tribal ways do not consider
the impact of actions on others outside the identified group and they
perpetuate suspicion and fear.  Working to move beyond this restricted
mindset is not for the timid and the shy.  Making a country that includes
everyone is hard work.