[amc] Re: Commentary on Hurricane Katrina from the Reformed Church of America

  • From: "Nevitt D. Reesor" <reesor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austin Mennonite Church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 23:46:06 -0500

Interesting argument, but not very general. (Perhaps it's unfair to think of the article as an "argument." Perhaps it's wrong to criticize it as if the good reverend were trying to justify a claim. Still, . . . ) A case might be made in this particular tragedy that human failings are more to blame than the "act of God" itself. But there have been many many "acts of God" throughout history for which the cumulative result has been the deaths of millions and the devastated live of many more millions and for which no clear human fault can be found.

And even in this particular case, the people who have reaped the greatest suffering are not those who are at fault: the victims (of whom? Don't the existence of "victims" imply the existence of an "assailant"?) did not build the levees that broke, did not drain the wetlands, did not build houses below sea level. If there are humans to blame, surely it is not those who are suffering. If this event is a judgment on the stupidity, greed, shortsightedness, and irresponsibility of human beings, then the judgment rather badly missed the targets most deserving of punishment.

Though perhaps this does fit God's M.O. at least on some accounts: God doesn't punish those who appear to be immediately guilty, God punishes all of humanity b/c we are all equally to blame, we are all culpable. On this reasoning, all of us deserve to be victims of Katrina (sorry, Katrina), so those of us who were spared should be thankful, while those who suffered have nothing to complain about. Actually, on this view, only God is the victim, and we are all the assailants. Poor God. Porbecito. Divine life is so hard when your children are such brats. No one would deny we need such just reminders afforded by "acts of God."

Anyway, I don't think we ought to let God off the hook so easily.

Nevitt

On Sep 16, 2005, at 7:13 PM, Micheal McEvoy wrote:

The full text is here:
http://www.rca.org/news/words/index.html

But as I listened, reflected, and prayed during the week, another question
emerged. Just how "natural" was this disaster? Consider this, for
instance. When Katrina left the Florida coast, it was classified as a
"tropical storm"--not even a hurricane. It picked up tremendous power as
it passed through the Gulf of Mexico, in part, experts think, because the
waters of the Gulf were two degrees warmer than normal. So by the time is
reached New Orleans, it was a Category 4 hurricane.

<snip>

So a part of Katrina's fury was not completely "natural."

And there's more. New Orleans was built between the Mississippi River and
the Gulf of Mexico, with much of the city below sea level. Its
vulnerability to flooding from hurricanes was partly protected by the
wetlands between the city and the Gulf. These act like a "speed bump,"
absorbing and lowering some of a hurricane's force. But they've been
disappearing, making way for shopping malls, condos, and roads, so
twenty-five square miles are lost each year--an area the size of Manhattan
Island. And the city has kept moving closer to the Gulf.

Moreover, the levees and dams constructed to protect the city and
"control" the Mississippi deprive the wetlands from the sediments and
nutrients that naturally would replenish its life. There's a lot
"unnatural" about this "act of God."

And then, consider the victims. Those who have suffered the most are the
poorest, and most of them are African American. Within New Orleans, 27% of
the residents lived below the poverty line, and many of those simply had
no cars, no money, and no way to leave. That also isn't "natural." The
poverty rate, and the gap between rich and poor, continues to increase in
this nation, and that is a national disgrace. More to our point, that's a
sin, condemned by literally hundreds of verses of Scripture. Those most
vulnerable to Katrina have been kept on society's margins by persistent
economic injustice and racism.

<snip>

But I do know this. When I see the devastating effects of Katrina, I don't
simply regard these as an inexplicable "act of God." I also focus on the
sins of humanity. We've disobeyed God's clear biblical instructions to
preserve the integrity of God's good creation, and to overcome the scourge
of poverty. In the aftermath of Katrina, we desperately need not only
compassion, but also repentance.

Shalom,
Micheal