[amc] Church, State and Garland Robertson

  • From: "Ray Gingerich" <rjgingerich@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Milwaukee Mennonite" <milwaukee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 18:15:11 -0500

Friends,

I am taking a risk that I will offend Garland by sending you this web
citation. I think I will ask for forgiveness rather than permission as
Garland is in Washington protesting the war right now. The article I am
about to send you so much relates to our "Stories" discussion today on the
non-violence of the early church, the persecution of the early Christians by
the state for their refusal to worship the emperor or fight the emperor's
wars.

And, that question that Helen posed in her sermon today, "who is this
Jesus," that we claim to follow and what does following him really mean
right now, today?  Probably, some of you were wondering again, as I do, "do
I really have the courage to follow?" Is there any among us who does? Do we
have contemporary models? (Bonhoeffer was indeed a model, a tragic
one--succumbing to the "myth of redemptive violence"--violence that he had
rejected until the end of his life). Who are the contemporary ones? Where
are they? What are they doing?

Possibly, Garland crossed our minds as we pondered the latter questions. If
so, you might be surprised at the person featured smack dab in the middle of
the article in the website I am about to send you. This person is in
Washington right now, possibly in jail again (where he ended up last time he
went to Washington), and is scheduled to go to Iraq with CPT again in the
fall even though HIS government is trying to keep him out. So, if you have
time, read the whole article, if not, this website will take you to the
middle of it. I'm sure I don't need to inform you that the author is a
renowned theologian at the University of Chicago. And (we're in Austin--we
believe in syncronicity), guess who was one of Marty's students: John D.
Roth, author of our "Stories" book. Hmmm!

http://books.google.com/books?id=R6LjSSXUcXQC&pg=PA18&dq=Distinguished+Flying+Cross+%2B+Garland+Robertson&ei=543dR_X3A5G0yQSsxbXaAQ&sig=9OBNRg4UZCF-Uox8KpFsdap9nGU
Ray

PS to John D. Roth: Garland Robertson decided to join your/our Menno story
about 5 years ago and is now pastor of Austin Mennonite Church.

--
Center for Strength-based Strategies
Ray Gingerich, Associate

"Change is possible when I stop trying to become that which I am not and
become that which I am." Frederick Perls