[amc] Adult ed (sanctuary class), Feb. 28

  • From: Steve Friesen <Friesen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austin Mennonite Church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 09:30:07 -0600

Dear all,

This week we'll finish up the Infancy Gospel of Thomas.  Last week we talked
about its legendary character and the way early Christian storytellers
filled in the "missing years" before the story about Jesus at age 12 in the
Jerusalem temple.
http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/text/infancythomas-a-mrjames.html

For this week, ask yourself:

* What kind of story is this?  Is it a story about Jesus learning to control
the power inside him (a maturation story)?  Or is it about people learning
who Jesus is (a recognition story)? Or is it something else?

* Do you learn anything about the spiritual life of the early churches from
this story?

* Do you learn anything for you own life of faith from this text?

* Do you wish it was in the New Testament?

Steve

Ps.  Next week: The Martyrdom of Perpetua & Felicitas.  This might contain
the journaling of our earliest example of an early Christian female writer.
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/perpetua.html

"For all of its uncertainty, we cannot flee the future."

      --Barbara Jordan