[amayausers.com] Re: vector art programs(Mac designs for Amaya)

  • From: "Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 13:17:57 -0500

I'll try to keep this simple and not ramble...
I use Macromedia Freehand (great vector line art program, but
it was 'bought' by Adobe Illustrator people and killed-no more
versions of it, no support, etc.)
It is similar to Illustrator, but not too many use it now. I don't know
'how' to use illustrator but it's about the same.
'Vector line art' is the artwork all done as 'pieces', solid line 'outline'
and you can apply color to the 'outline' and fill separately.
Great for bringing into Design Shop because your digitizing also works
with 'vector' designs-you have to have an 'object' and assign a 'fill pattern' to it (if large enough) or use 'line art' like a 'single line' and assign the 'width'
of that line for your embroidery.
Corel artwork will 'open' in illustrator (or Freehand) so you can get artwork from someone using Corel and work with it in Illustrator before sending it into Design Shop. In all 3 programs, you can use ANY font you have available, and 'convert' it to Path (or Outline-depends on what the program calls it) and now you have your custom 'font' logo as 'line art' and you can manipulate it anyway the program lets you. Stretch it, arch it, move each letter around to make a custom logo. Then bring that into Design Shop and just auto digitize it. Now, here is what I have figured out with the 'auto digitize' feature.... only grab ONE piece of your artwork at a time-and it is pretty good. DS9 version is far better than DS7...but if you grab several pieces (or some people try to grab the entire design) and DS can't handle it-so it gives you really screwy 'auto' digitizing. So just grab 1 piece at a time. Remember, you can THEN go into 'properties' and change it around. I find the 'auto digitize' wants to make densities down into 3, 3.5- for me, too dense for most work. And the 'underlay's may not be dense enough for you-but you can fix all that and still you have saved time over re- creating the design
from scratch.
If something really doesn't come out right, you can manually create what you need with your vector line art underneath to 'trace' it with single line, or fill tool, whatever you need. Then when you get everything done, just delete all your original artwork
and you have clean file for sewing!
Definitely have your son teach you illustrator program, and when you can afford it, buy the newest version (I think it's CS4). Then you can work with files from just about anyone. For 'tiff', jpg, bmp, etc.-you want Photoshop with it-and you can buy a 'package' with both together. Expensive, do NOT buy an 'online' cheap version- it's bootleg and you will be screwed on it. Buy direct from a real 'computer supplier' or direct from
Zones, MacWarehouse, or Adobe.
Roland