[amayausers.com] Re: presser foot

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 15:01:21 UT

http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/447.html#000005

Finally figured out how to re-set the presser foot depth. Problem had been the
presser foot was 'high'-over 3/8" inch above the point of the needle-and with
fabric under it, turning the wheel all the way to 'no clicks' it still wouldn't
touch. Looping, thread wouldn't cut, material 'flagging'-called our tech Brian
and he explained how to fix it and Sue had called and talked to Chris at Melco
and got instructions so we tackled it this morning.
Turn machine and program on (in proper order) and once up and running, go to
needle 16, and 'Bottom Center' in Maintenance. for safety, hit the 'red' stop
button. Now remove the 'black plastic' cover to the left of the needle bar with
4 setscrews. Look at the 'presser foot wheel' and see the 'half moon' in
silver-there's a set screw right in the middle of it. Same wrench you used to
remove the black cover. Loosen this set screw, and turn the wheel until the
presser foot gently rests on the needle plate (flat plate, NOT the raised
plate) and then tighten it back up. Test the wheel, you'll see the foot go up
and down! Ours had stopped doing that! Put the cover back on, make sure
everything is out of the way, and turn the 'red' button back on.
I think our 'foot' had gone out of adjustment by NOT raising the foot wheel
when we would put the hat hoop assembly on-and start sewing hats to set the
adjustment. This probably made it 'jam' down on the raised needle plate and the
setscrew wheel would move. So now we'll make sure we ALWAYS raise the presser
foot all the way until the hoop driver is in place to do a 'bottom center'
check and set it again.