[amayausers] Re: how tight is too tight

  • From: e3m@xxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 17:09:40 +0000

Wendy,
Not sure if one could answer your question with a general answer.  It all very
much matters on the material the screw is made of and the material the screw is
screwing into.
Remember this:
Black screws are heat treated and are usually very hard in nature (difficult to
strip)
Silver screws are not and are made of a softer grade of metal and can be
stripped easier (both the threads and the head socket where the wrench goes)
As for the material being screwed into,...aluminum is used extensively on these
machines because its easier to mold and cut, relatively inexpensive, and rather
light weight when compared to heavier, tougher metals such as steel.  However
it's also easier to strip threads in screw holes.  One must also be aware of
aluminum that is painted which makes it look like another grade of metal. (Such
as the new cylindrical Amaya XT bobbin/sewing arm)

Melco does have a torque specification chart in the technical manual included
on your parts manual CD but if you don't know what the difference is between
foot pounds and inch pounds of torque, then you would do better trying to read
Egyptian hieroglyphics.  You would also have to have the appropriate gauges to
measure these torque specifications as well (torque wrenches).

You could use this thought process,  if it's just a cover or such, turn the
screw until it seats (stops turning by hand) and then just snug it a tiny bit
more.
If the screw is holding something in place that is sliding or rotating, then
you are going to want it good and tight.
Some screws are meant to only be turned by hand (thumb screws) and others with
special tools (security screws).
There will also be some screws that are meant to only be screwed once because
there will be a special Locktite metal glue applied to the threads so that the
screw doesn't vibrate out.  Those can be a b**** to get out sometimes.

You must also know your own strength and the strength of the tools you're
using.  Sometimes there's no substitute for experience in the field of screws,
mechanics and yourself.  Yes, that means I have stripped more than my fair
share of screws in life and I take that knowledge with me on every service
call.  This is part of what you pay for with a good tech.

If something has to strip, then you want it to be the screw first.  You can
always get another screw.  If the threads in the mating material are stripped,
then this can be a bit more costly.  And yet there are sometimes options still.
 Such as drilling out a slightly larger hole, cutting new threads and using a
larger screw.  (Not always practical)  Sometimes drilling a clean hole clear
through to the other side and using a long screw with a nut on the other end.
It really all depends on the circumstances at hand.

Hopefully you can simply replace the damaged parts in question.
Wishing you the best.

Ed Orantes
Melco Tech & Trainer
504-258-6260