[amayausers.com] Re: help hooping knit caps

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 14:43:20 UT

http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/758.html#000002

I run batches for a local stone/gravel company. The wide knit sanmar 'beanies.
We set up the speed frame to run a roll of 4" wide tearaway, and cut solvy into
3-4" wide strips to avoid waste.
I also do them for Boy Scouts with the fleur-de-lis
logo and lettering. Use a small 'wedge' clamp (off the WACF hat hoop) to hold
one end of the tearaway on the frame-slide the hat (inside out) over the frame
to line up. Slide your strip of solvy across and clamp the frame, then pop off
the wedge clamp. Then pull the sides of the hat 'out' to get the 'ribs'of the
knit back into parallel lines. Keep the embroidery about 1/2" above the bottom
of the hat, and no more than 2" high. When you flip the hat inside out-your
logo is now on the folded hem facing out.
Run the presser foot so it just kisses the knit and you don't get false thread
breaks (might take some experimenting for this). I set it to auto and don't
worry about what it does. Lettering and logos expand your pull comp, 120% or so
(again, experiment and when you get what you want, sew a sample and write down
all your settings!)
when the hat is done, open the speedframe, and pull the solvy off from one side
to the other-don't cut it off. Reach underneath and yank the tearaway out,
don't cut it off. Now set the tearaway so where it 'tore' is on one side of the
speed frame, clamp it down. Set the next hat in place, do the same with the
solvy-don't waste it, you only need enough solvy to hold it under the
frame-that's why you don't need to cut it.
I found we 'cut our usage' of backing and solvy by 75% doing this!
While the next one sews, take the first one, pull off all the large pieces of
tearaway and solvy, then put your hands inside the hat and spread it right
out...and the tearaway pieces practically fall off by themselves-very little
time spent picking out each tiny piece. No visible backing left, solvy on the
front use a damp cloth and just 'wipe' off pieces that won't fall off.
Now you have a knit beanie that doesn't act like there is a huge solid patch
sewn in the front!