[amayausers.com] Re: digitizing trims

  • From: "Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 12:06:29 -0500

I'll throw my 2¢ in...on a couple items
1) test sewout, always...even for 1 item. Avoids ruining something!
2) customer supplied goods...well, I try to avoid it as much as possible... but for screenprinting I always tell them to bring me 10% extra goods, at least 1 of each size extra in case of screwups. For embroidery...we tell them if they don't bring extra goods then we can't be expected to do each one perfect and also charge a 'hooping fee' or include the embroidery for a minimum of $10 per item to cover the
profit we aren't making on the crap they brought in
(usually they went to a discount rack store and bought crap cheap)
3) low pricing...never let someone ELSE dictate your prices...because it might have been the low pricing that put the last guy out of business! And you cannot compete with the pro shops-the guys with 10, 15, or 50 heads or more-you lose money trying to do that.

Good luck!

Roland

On Dec 21, 2009, at 11:12 AM, Carol Brussel wrote:

Thanks Rod for explaining about the mechanical aspects of the machines, I always like to understand the "how and why" because I think then I can come to understand problems better.

Now for a big question that is probably two questions. I recently got a call from a screen printer whose former embroidery person moved away. He brought over some caps which I struggled with quite a bit (only did one cap in training and that was long ago and far away, it seems). Whoever posted the video about hooping caps really saved my butt on that one! The design was digitized for this guy's logo by the former embroidery person, who kindly sent it to him, as well as the other design I sewed. This guy's logo has unusual lettering which sewed out okay but had big jump stitches from just about everywhere, it seemed. I didn't trim them because he offered me a pretty low price to do this stuff and I forgot to ask him about it. he said his previous person always trimmed them.

I hate to sit around trimming threads if I can get out of it. However, one time before when I posted that I had digitized some lettering to eliminate the tiny jump threads (remember these are HUGE) someone advised me not to do that, becuase of the time it takes to stop and trim and the possibility of threads pulling out.

So now I am wondering, should I digitize out these threads by inserting trims? how best to do it so they don't pull out?

Also when he picked them up he looked at them and asked if I could make the letters "bigger" (meaning bolder) next time, it turns out he had never had it sewn out before! EEK - I told him he should have told me that so I could have sewn out a sample for him. He's a very nice guy and may be on to a big contract with a school district so I certainly want to maintain a good relationship with him, so if I just have to cut those threads, I will, but I figured someone would know better than me.

Caps are awful, those metal hoop devices are very hard on the hands.

Also, could others share with me their policies on doing embroidery on items other people supply? He had bought the caps and my machine (operator error, surely, although I couldn't figure out what) ruined three of them (out of about 35). He said his previous person bought all the caps so she must have absorbed the defective ones herself. I myself do not have a basement full of supplies, so I really need to come up with a clear policy on this.

Carol Brussel
Brussel Embroidery
Denver