[amayausers.com] Re: Windows XP Performance

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 19:55:32 UT

This message was posted by Oregonian1a on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/3/280.html

I have noticed from time to time posts concerning computer resources. Here is
one that sounds "spooky" but actually is fairly harmless and easy to do. This
is a Windows XP tip only.

Try turning off Indexing Service on your hard drive. You do this by opening "My
Computer" then right clicking on your C: drive. Select properties, and near the
bottom of the properties screen you will see a box checked to "allow Indexing
Service to index my drive..."

Uncheck the box and select OK. It took my computer about 20 minutes to do it's
thing but it was noticably faster with some of my programs.

What Indexing Service does, is every time information is written to the hard
drive, it scans that information for text and maintains a database of which
words are in which files. So if you search for a word like "Pumpkin", Windows
doesn't have to scan every file for the word, it just looks it up in the Index.
The trade off for faster searching is slower processing.

Since I rarely use Windows search, really not an issue that the search will
take longer with me.