[amayausers] Re: Uncoated Hooks- 2005 Design Shop and OS

  • From: "E. Orantes" <e3m@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 12:14:03 -0600

Peter,
        Let me first say this:  If you are new to the Amaya and possibly
embroidery
machines in general, cover yourself (at least during the warranty period) by
following the maintenance procedures as instructed until you feel
comfortable with where and when the machine should get lubed.  Oil and
grease to the machine is like the blood to your body.  Without it, you ain't
doing nothing tonight.  Just be sure you understand the maintenance
procedures correctly and that they are in fact turned on.  In the timers tab
under "settings".  You'll see a check mark to disable or enable the timers
feature.  CAUTION:  If you unclick this and re-click this check mark, you
will reset all of your timers and you won't remember who or what should get
oil or grease soon.  You'll have to wait for one more timer interval until
you are reminded again.  That is unless you choose to "STEP" through the
maintenance procedure at that time.  I visited one customer who, using the
photos in the maintenance procedures, was applying an adequate amount of
grease all around the side of the take up lever cam and not all around the
back of the take up lever cam where it was supposed to go because that's
what the arrow in the picture looked like it was pointing too.  When I
showed him the correct way, it all made sense to him.  Melco has since
changed that picture in the maintenance procedure.

        Back to the subject...  Why would Melco give anyone the opportunity to
disable the timers when they are such a great feature???  Well, although I
don't disable mine, I would like to disable some of them because I am so
in-tune with my machines, I check them periodically whether they need it or
not.  If I feel like it needs oil or grease, I deliver.  If I know I greased
an area not too long ago and I still see signs of adequate grease, I don't
add any more.
        This is not going to be the case for everybody.  I've made a career out
of
electronics and mechanics since I was eighteen and am a 3rd party tech for
Melco and Barudan now.  Remember the story of the lady who hadn't oiled her
rotary hook for over two weeks because the timers hadn't reminded her to do
so.  And she was running her Amaya every day.  Somehow her timers had gotten
disabled.  She was okay but will eventually have to replace that rotary hook
sooner than most.
        The worst thing that could happen if you put too much oil in the rotary
hook or oil it too frequently is the chance of getting oil on the garment
your sewing.  (It drives me bonkers to hear people actually squirt WD40 all
around the rotary hook area.)  I've had people say, how does the oil from
the hook way down there get way up here to the fabric?  The upper thread
actually passes around the rotary hook over and over again before it gets
stitched into the garment.  The thread absorbs excess oil and transfers it
to the fabric with every needle penetration and of course after the thread
lays down on the garment in the design.
        Personally I don't step through all the maintenance procedures.  Too
time
consuming for me.  Others I do because it moves the machine where I want it
to.  At the beginning of every day, and sometimes in the afternoon, I put a
drop of oil in the rotary hook's oiling point, however it is not in the
oiling point position.  What that means is it's a little tricky and hard to
see in a dark room but very much faster than clicking through the procedure.
From the front of the machine, when it's idle (or at head up), just under
the needle plate and above the retaining finger, I insert my oiling needle
(tip of bottle) just above the rotary hook's oiling point and with a steady
hand, drop one drop of oil.  If I suspect I dropped two or more (ooops) I
always to a quick sew out of about 1 or 2 thousand stitches to absorb any
excess oil on a couple of scrap pieces of backing.  If I don't see signs of
oil on the white backing, then I reset the design and start over with the
real garment.  But you should do this every time you oil your needle case or
over oil the rotary hook just for good measure.  The first time you get oil
on something, you'll do this every time after.
        I believe Dana from the list says she oils her hook every two hours
and/or
sooner depending on the rattling sound the hook makes when it's dry.  If you
don't oil it enough, it will wear faster.  If it wears faster, you will
experience more and more thread breaks.  Or as I call them, "thread tears"-
commonly torn by the rotary hook.  A "thread break" to me is when the thread
is stretched to a point at which it breaks.  It is said that the Rotary Hook
is a consumable part and on average, might need replacing about every two
years.  If you oil it regularly and aren't having any thread break issues on
just about every thing you sew, then don't replace it.
        One way to check it is to grab the bobbin shaft or post and push and
pull a
little bit to see how much play there is. It helps to have a new rotary hook
in hand to compare to.  The more play there is the more worn it is.  Some
people go ten years before replacing the hook, others have had to replace
the hook after the first thirty days (with respect to lack of oil and wear).
        Geeze, I'm long winded.  Sorry.
Good luck to ya'.
Ed

Ed & Maralien Orantes