[amayausers] Re: Merchant Account

  • From: "Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 12:12:23 -0400

Our mc/visa is for our retail store and our graphic shop-same account at the
bank, but split to track for sales on the paperwork end of it each month.
Our 'ecommerce' sales (from ebay or out of state graphic sales) we do over
the phone-not over the net...I do have 'paypal' setup but haven't used it
yet because we have no idea how to 'recover' funds from it!
And everyone has been happy NOT to send their account numbers over the
net-they call us, we enter it in on the keypad (separate line) and get their
security info on the spot...no way for anyone to 'track' and steal numbers.
Just did 61 separate United Way Agency sales for window decals-75% did it
with a charge card. Took 2 days of phone calls, but well worth it!
Our rates run from 1.05% to 1.95% I think-depends on card type and wether it
is a 'swipe' or hand entered.
The few 'disputed' card sales are very difficult-and YOU pay $25 or more to
PROTEST the chargeback! So we instituted (for all retail sales) a MANDATORY
picture ID, driver's licence, etc....because we found in the small print of
the contract that WE have to ID the customer or we cannot protest a canceled
sale! The few people that protest about giving information either have a bad
card, or are going to 'cancel' the sale after they leave the store (our
retail store has adult novelties, and more than once a student with 'daddy's
card doesn't want to admit they shopped there) so we don't mind having them
walk out-better to lose a sale than get burned for the goods!
So watch your fine print-if you don't ID the customer-YOU get stuck for bad
cards...
Roland