[amayausers.com] Re: Maintenance (the 4,000,000)

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 23:05:54 UT

This message was posted by Juli in Kona on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/589.html

I'd like the opinion of a tech or two on this.

I hit the 4,000,000 stitch maintenance.  I ordered a new set of red and yellow
wheels and the little covers.  Cost a bunch but what the heck.

I removed the front cover and took off all the red and yellow wheels and the
covers.  Then I cleaned out all the old grease from the machine.  I then put a
dab of new grease in between the three plastic pieces near the center of the
red wheels (in all the red wheels and lines them up).  I put a dab of grease on
both sides of where the yellow wheel goes in - not on the brass center of the
wheel itself, but on the plastic where it will snap into.  I snapped all the
yellow wheels into place and put the cover on.  Then snapped all the red wheels
in place, wiped off the excess grease that squeezes out the holes on the right,
realigned the threads and closed the red wheel down.  That took about one hour.
 Actually cleaning all the old grease off is what took all the time.  With the
front off, I had absolutely no trouble with the #1 position wheels.  I highly
recommend taking off the front cover!

I had already made myself a little tool to help snap out the yellow wheels.  It
is just an 1/8" (probably) brass strapping that I bent a 1/8" leg at one end.
I just stick that down the side of the wheel and it hooks it just enough to
pull the wheel out.  Simple and fast.

I have since cleaned all the old red wheels.  I put them in a baggie all
together as a set.  They are still good, so I'll use them next time.  The
yellow wheels still need to be cleaned, but they also look all right.

If I remember correctly, it took me 4 hours the last time I did this.  And I
actually had to have my husband help a little.  It was not pleasant to have to
struggle so hard.  This time, with the new set of wheels and with the front
off, it went so much faster.  And I didn't have to struggle with a single
thing.

So, what do you think of this slightly, but significantly, different way of
doing this maintenance?

Juli in Kona