[amayausers] Re: Maintenance Timer Reset

  • From: "Ed Orantes" <e3m@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 23:13:12 -0500

Dear "Thanks"(???),
And everyone else..

I don't know that you can change the timer values.  Hence, I suggest the
following:

Yes, if you turn off your timers feature by un-checking the box and then
turn them back on, the timers all reset on you.  An upsetting little event
if you weren't expecting it.  You could be halfway through one of the timers
and now that it has reset to the beginning, you're worried you won't be
reminded at the precise moment in time when you should add a little grease
or oil.  Am I correct?

If I were you, I'd take a little pro-active approach and try to learn the
moveable parts on the machine and check them periodically for lubrication
and cleanliness.  And I mean before the timers remind you to check them.
I've met too many customers who must think that the oil and grease(s) aren't
really that necessary since the machine continues to sew.  At this point in
my career, I think I've just about seen what happens to all the moving parts
when they have been neglected and allowed to run dry.

Sure, I know.  We all wanted to be embroiderers and not necessarily
mechanics.  However, chances are, if the machine is not cared for,
lubrication wise, the machine will start to respond poorly just at the time
when the most important job of all is due.

My point being,...
Since the timers have been reset on you, take the time to step through all
the lubrication schedules and try to understand where and how much oil and
grease (polymer) needs to be applied.  If the step by step procedures are
not clear or easily understood, feel free to ask questions here on the list
or call me direct.  It usually takes me an hour or two (depending on the
customer) to teach a new customer the lubrication points on the machine in
person.  Almost all of them choose NOT to take notes figuring they'll
remember later when the timer reminds them.  Sure enough, on average, after
about a year and a half in service, the machines start to generate problems
like thread breaks.  A problem that that can get worse with time.  Then, I
hear comments like "I don't remember the machine reminding me to take THAT
cover off".

I have a customer who has told me that she doesn't want to oil or grease,
she simply wants to sew.  So she pays me to visit her on occasion to give
the machine a "once over".  Fortunate for her, she lives in my home town and
the travel expense is next to nothing.

Imagine for a moment that you drove your car for a living like Nascar or
Pizza Delivery.  You'd probably do tune ups more often than the average car
owner to ensure your livelihood is not interrupted.  Customers ask, "when
should I grease that? or when should I oil this?"  The timers are general
intervals based on stitch count, however your particular climate or
environment might require more frequent oiling or cleaning.  Therefore the
timer is designed to remind you to inspect, clean, and then lubricate.  It
wouldn't hurt to "inspect" more frequently than the timer intervals.

Again, I've available for specific questions if any.
Good luck
Ed Orantes
Tech