[amayausers] Re: Magnetic Bobbins

  • From: "Jeff Banks" <banksje@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 13:40:46 -0700

Hi Sharon,

 Actually, I have done some testing on these bobbins. Originally they were
to have more bobbin on them as they do not have sides. The original ones
also had a thinner bobbin thread which of course meant more bobbin. All of
the original release of the Magna-Glide bobbins were discontinued due to
problems and what they have now is the same diameter as the Coats that is
recommended for the Amaya. In fact, I got fewer stitches from a Magna-Glide
than I did from the Coats TruSew Poly bobbins. The Magna-Glide states 135
yards, the Coats states 132 yards. I used a Towa Bobbin Tension gauge and
set the bobbin tension identical for all tests.

 I found them NOT to be as advertised. I did NOT get more stitches per
bobbin, and I actually had more problems than the Coats sided bobbins. I had
more thread breaks and more "false bobbin" detects. I attribute this to the
fact they are sideless and the bobbin can fall of the sides in the case. I
also tested the NEBS plastic sided bobbins. Although they seemed to fair a
little better than the Magna-Glide as far as problems per bobbin, I found
the ends were tied to the bobbin so when they ran out, there was an actual
break and this registered as a Thread Break instead of a Bobbin Out on the
Amaya machines.

 The concept that it is "set once and forget it" is a little far fetched.
When you think about it, this is stretching the realm of physics. Tension
springs on bobbins weaken and change characteristics. Cleaning them
in-between bobbin changes (in particular when doing things like structured
caps where the fine white dust from the buckram gets into everything,) can
change tensions, and the set screw itself (due to vibration etc) can change
bobbin tension. Bobbin tension should be checked on any machine at every
bobbin change, even with the Magna-Glide, to insure proper tension.

Due to the results of the testing I did, Melco still recommends the Coats
TruSew Poly bobbins for the Amaya. The Magna-Glide are about $.05 more per
bobbin and do not deliver the promised results to justify the added expense.

As this and most Email forums are a Plain Text Forum, I cannot paste in my
report as there are tables etc. Any of you who would like a copy please
email me privately and I can forward you a PDF file of the report.

Sincerely,
 Jeff Banks
 Melco Engineering