[amayausers.com] Re: Machine play

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 09:44:10 UT

This message was posted by Oregonian1a on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/650.html

Yesterday I oiled each of the needle shafts, top and bottom. With the magnetic
plate still off, I used can air to blow out the dust and lint that I saw.

Continuing to clean the machine up, I noticed a small metal filing laying in
the needle guard. It was a half circle with sharp ends about 3/16 diameter.
Reminded me a bit of a tiny metal lathe chip piece. Since I never had blown out
that area before, I suspected that it had been there since manufacture.

Because of that I inspected that area thoroughly. I wanted to test each needle
for play and did this by placing my finger on the screw that locks the needle
in and applied pressure forward and back, and left and right. Every needle was
rock solid with no detectable play in those directions.

In doing so, I discovered a tiny but noticable amount of play in the rotation
of the needle. It took no effort to "wiggle" each needle back and for a tiny
amount on every need except needle 6. Despite a fairly large abount of
rotational force it was rock solid and would not "wiggle" back and forth not
even a tiny amount.

I assume that the tiny amount of rotational play is a design feature and am
concerned about one needle being clearly different from the others. The machine
is operating well, but for now I will not use needle 6 until I find out if this
is acceptable. Even though the small metal filing may just be a coincidence, it
just as well may not be and would be a typical clue that something was in the
process of failing.

Any idea what would cause the described symptoms?