[amayausers] Laser light "Centering"

  • From: "Ed Orantes" <e3m@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 09:31:59 -0600

Susan,
        As for the laser light,...  You have to understand that the laser is not
mounted directly above the needle plate.  There is not enough room for it to
fit because of all the sewing mechanics that are moving about behind the
needlecase.  Therefore the laser is mounted off to the right a bit, just
behind the right front cover (black plastic).
        Hence, the laser shines in from an angle.  It is set at the factory to
shine right through the needle hole in the needle plate.  So if you put a
thin piece of paper or fabric on top of the needle plate and pushed the
laser light button, you would see the laser shining right on top of the
needle hole.
        Because it comes in at an angle, geometry tells us that the higher our
fabric raises off the surface of the needle plate, the more the laser "dot"
will shine to the right (since that's where it's mounted).  So you have to
understand that how much the laser light is "off centered" will be relative
to how thick the fabric you are sewing on is.  And yes, it's true that hats
will be slightly off centered with the laser light because hats are some of
the thickest items you can sew on.  Not because it's a thick fabric, more so
because it's on a curve across the needle plate and remember that when you
sew on caps, you're using a "raised" needleplate which adds height to where
the laser "dot" originally is set to shine.
        As far as "is it only shifted in a horizontal direction?", yes.  The
laser
is screwed to the chassis with two large screws.  So the laser itself is not
capable of shining anywhere other than where it is engineered to shine.
        Since we're on this subject, we should also note for all those knuckle
heads who might be tempted to try something stupid.  "MAKE SURE you DON'T
look directly into the laser beam.  That means don't play around with
mirrors or wedge your head in between the needlecase and bobbin arm to see
where the mystery light is coming from.  Not even with sun glasses on!  We
all know there's going to be one idiot in the bunch who will try and
re-invent the wheel.

        Good luck to you.
Ed Orantes