[amayausers] Re: Help Metallic Thread

  • From: "Ed Orantes" <e3m@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 10:48:56 -0600

Ms. Beverly,
    Needle can be a DBx7ST.  This has more of a larger, rectangular eye to
accommodate metallic thread.
Density should be a higher number because metallic thread catches your eye
much more so than standard thread so not as much thread is necessary to give
the same look.  A higher density will also reduce thread breaks as the
metallic thread doesn't always run well at lower densities due to friction
against itself.
    A larger needle will create a larger hole to allow the metallic thread
to pass through the fabric a little easier.  Suggest a 80/12 and even
possibly a 90/14.  Especially for a dense fabric like canvas.  See this link
for reference...  http://www.threadetc.com/organc-needles.html
    Also suggest switching from a satin stitch to a fill stitch if your
column widths will be greater than .5".  Especially will all the rubbing of
the fabric on the chair back.
    Know that there are different grades of metallic thread as well as
manufacturers.  These are general notes for general metallic thread.

Good luck,

Ed Orantes