[amayausers.com] Re: Has anybody heat pressed ball caps?

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 00:52:43 UT

This message was posted by Juli in Kona on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/11/59.html#000001

I have recently been messing with heat transfer on hats, so I can give you my
.02 worth of advise.  Buy a couple of mouse pads and cut strips just a little
wider than your design.  Say your design is 2" tall - Cut the strips 2.5" wide.
 Cut enough of them so the the stack is about 1/4" tall or a little more.  Tape
the stack to the bottom platen in a position that you hat can comfortably rest
on.  You may have to fool around with this to get it just right.  The tape you
need is the special tape used just for this purpose and can be bought from your
reg supplier.

The reason you need this build up is that the heat press can (it certainly did
on mine!) smash the hat down and create permanent wrinkles.  By lifting the cap
off the too wide platen, the top part will only be pressing the area of the
mousepad buildup. It does work.

You probably need to to all that with a cool press.  I wouldn't like to do it
hot.

And don't let them talk you into a design that is too large.  Just like
embroidery, the size of the vinyl design has limitations.