[amayausers] Re: Digitizing for jersey knit golf shirts

  • From: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 11:56:13 UT

http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/25.html#000001

I think of jersey knit as the worst fabric to work on....it's nothing more than
teeshirt material and not much 'body' to it.
1) backing...some say mesh is the best-I just got some to test so I can't say.
I end up using 3 oz. cutaway. Makes a thick 'patch' but it stays flat.
2) I do a simple 60 pt background stitch first-covering the entire design-like
a zigzag or just manual trace the area-to tack the WHOLE design to the shirt
and backing
3) unless the design calls for stitiching on 'top' of stitching, I try to do
all the 'center' of the image first-then the outer design or lettering.
My reasoning? I've sat and watched sewouts...and seen a design sewn from
'outside' to 'inside' start puckering badly. As it is sewn, the material is
getting compressed, and it has to go SOMEWHERE...and if the outside is done-the
embroidery can't push the excess material away-it just builds up in the center.
Starting at the center then 'out' is like rolling out a pie crust-or pizza
shell-you MUST start in the MIDDLE to push excess away.
Then you get a nice flat surface.
And last, to get rid of whatever pucker shows up, we grab the handy dandy Oreck
'hand steamer' that came with a vacuum...fire it up, steam the design area
while on a flat surface-and its like ironing it flat. Looks great, and if you
used solvy-gets rid of it!
Also gets rid of all 'hoop burn'