[amayausers.com] Re: Contract with business

  • From: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 13:29:40 UT

http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/314.html#000002

do they want you to move your machine into their store for 'on site'
embroidery? If they do-then it's not worth it-you won't be able to do your own
contract work. If not-then I misunderstood your question.
If they just want you to do contract 'monogramming' then you have to find out
how much are they going to mark up the price to pass on to the customer. They
may already have a 'retail' amount-perhaps $5.00 or so...which means they
expect YOU to do the work for them at $3 or less. I have all kinds of catalogs
from companies offering 'customization' on their products and some charge 'per
letter', some per name. However-it will take you exactly the same amount of
time and materials (backing, solvy, etc.) to do 'Matt' as it will take to do
'Stephanie', but you can see twice as many letters. Look at the back of some of
the football teams on TV now...there are some LONG names there.
Perhaps you should have a stepped price- one price for up to 6 letters, 10
letters, etc. because what happens if you offer 'one price for all' and you get
someone that wants 'Tanika Bonita Mabuta Harrison' (please, not meaning to
offend anyone but it is like that recurring character on Mad Tv...yet I see
names like this starting to pop up  in engraving trophies I do-hyphenated multi
names). So you have to keep that in mind.
Personally-we charge $5 minimum no matter what-because of the time just for
hooping and setting up. As Margaret also mentions-limit the font selection to a
few easy/standard ones.
Check out LL Bean, Lands End, companies like that. They have short lists of
what is available.