[amayausers.com] Re: Charge for Specialty Threads

  • From: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 15:57:09 UT

http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/308.html#000001

Never, ever think that as an embroidery (or screenprinting) business that you
'should' have all colors. Look at any specialty advertising/contract printing
company catalog-99% of them will ONLY have 'stock' colors-red,black, navy,
royal, green, etc. and they DO charge for any other color-and even to 'color
match' a pantone or pms color. I bet most of us use the same 10 spools of
thread all the time-and have a few 'favorites' for light shades, etc.
Metallic thread-cost you more money. Have to use a different needle. Have to
run slower. More aggravation....so YES, you should charge more!
I make tons of signs and banners-using vinyl-and even though I have more than a
half dozen 'stock' colors-I CHARGE extra for 'special colors'. Doesn't matter
if I already have it in stock-they pay extra. And no one argues about it. If
they want something 'custom'-they expect to pay for it.
So never hesitate to charge for having to buy the spool-and charge EVERY TIME
you use it. Even if it is only $5 or $10-always charge it. Your TIME is what
you are charging for-not the thread. Look at how many gazillion stitches each
roll will sew-you definitely don't get paid for using the thread. It is how
LONG it takes you to sew that design-at $40 or $50 per hour-that your cost is
figured on. Go ahead-get a calculator. Lets say a shirt logo is 15,000
stitches. You should be getting $1.00 per thousand or making almost that-plus
profit on the shirt. It sews an average of 900 stitches per minute-even when
set to 1200-watch it sometime. So that is about 17 minutes. Allow a couple
minutes to hoop-you can do 3 shirts an hour. $15 x 3= surprise-$45 for an hours
work. Yet you used what, 50¢ worth of thread? It is your TIME that you charge
for. Throw metallic in that design-now it may take 25 minutes to do the same
design.
So charge for it!