[Fredericksburg Uke Ensemble] Fwd: Invitation to Bryan Tolentino's Workshops and Concert May 4, 2019

  • From: Alan Remick <alan.l.remick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Fred Ukulele Fun <aka_fun@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2019 17:18:48 -0400

--- Forwarded message ---
From: Glen and Donna Hirabayashi homeconcert@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: April 12, 2019 4:59:08 PM
Subject: Invitation to Bryan Tolentino's Workshops and Concert May 4, 2019
To: a_remick@xxxxxxxxxxx

View this email in your browser

Bryan Tolentino's Workshops and Concert, Saturday, May 4, 2019
Aloha e Ukulele Afficionados and Live Music Supporters,

Donna and I are delighted to invite you to experience the unique music of Hawai’i’s Bryan Tolentino on Saturday, May 4, 2019, in Herndon, Virginia.

Bryan Tolentino is a professional musician. He taught himself to play the 'ukulele at the age of 10. Bryan's repertoire is a mixture of Hawaiian, contemporary, and original songs, blending creativity and diversity with the ‘ukulele. In 1979 Bryan and some friends formed The Side Order Band, a group well-known in Hawai’i. He released a solo album “Ka ‘Ukulele Lele” in 2005 and a duet recording with Herb Ohta, Jr. called “ʻUkulele Friends” in 2015.

Bryan has about 50 recording credits, including 14 Na Hoku Hanohano winners and two Grammy nominations. He is considered the ‘ukulele player for Hawaii’s top artists and producers. They call on Bryan when they want that indescribable, certain something on their track. Bryan calls it “fairy dusting,” and over the years he has sprinkled it on recordings of many of Hawai’i’s leading artists. Bryan has also performed at concerts and has taught workshops internationally. See Bryan play Pu'uanahulu on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgovDceQzVA

We are extremely fortunate that Bryan has agreed to share his knowledge with us. He is offering three 90-minute workshops.

12:30 - 2:00 Hawaiian Style Vamps. Bryan is a master of numerous Hawaiian Style Vamps or turnarounds, the staple of Hawaiian music. He will be sharing how to strum and pick many of them at this workshop.

2:15 - 3:45 Beyond the 3d Fret. Bryan will help you navigate beyond the 3d fret of the ukulele where he does much of his magic. As our good friend Byron Yasui says, “you paid for it, you might as well use it!” Bryan will show you how. This is where a lot of “fairy dust” resides.

4:00 - 5:30 Music Awareness. This is a more advanced level of technique and connecting the analytical and technical part of music with the heart while listening and fitting in. Bryan will share his approach to music and how he creates his “fairy dusting”. This is what makes leading musicians in Hawai’i seek out Bryan.

Bryan is asking $25 for one 90-minute workshop, $45 for two workshops, and $60 for three workshops payable at the workshop.

We will have a potluck at 6:00 p.m. You are welcome to bring a dish to share. We will provide, plates, bowls, utensils, and water. Feel free to bring other beverages that you may care to drink.

The concert will begin at 7:00 p.m. We are asking for a suggested donation of $20 per person attending the concert.

Seating is limited. If you wish to any of the workshops, and/or the concert, please send an email to homeconcert@xxxxxxxxxxx, for our private home address and more. In your reply, please state the specific workshops you wish to attend and whether you will attend the concert. Please provide the names of those attending and what they would like to attend. An email will be sent to you in response to your RSVP confirming your reservation
.
Feel free to call Glen Hirabayashi, mobile 571 224-3067, if you have any questions. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you,

Glen and Donna Hirabayashi

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to a_remick@xxxxxxxxxxx
why did I get this? unsubscribe from this list update subscription preferences
House Concerts · 2477 Iron Forge Rd · Herndon, VA 20171-2917 · USA