[accmemberdiscussion] The Dog Files

  • From: Baba Monk <babamonk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: accmemberdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 11:15:01 -0500

HOME NEWS EPISODES OUR TEAM FORUM SHOP ADOPT CONTACT

Humane Society In Alabama Forced To Euthanize 65 Animals In 8 days
Categories: Adoption News, Endangerment, Inhumane Practices, News

22
Share
Become a Fan on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

VALLEY, AL (WTVM) – As of today the Chattahoochee Humane Society in Valley,
Alabama has taken in 2098 animals since January 1st.

The humane society went to the county earlier this month asking for more
funding, without it they’ll have to shut down the facility September 30th and
every animal that has not been adopted will be euthanized. Sharon Hawkins,
President of the Board of Directors says, “we tried to present to them what it
costs to do that and apparently our county feels that they can do it more
affordably.”

Under U.S. law , an animal shelter is required in every county but what kind of
shelter is not specified.

Hawkins says shelters are required to keep an animal for 7 days, after that,
the humane society tries to get the animal adopted or fostered, but the county
is proposing a pound.

“The difference in a pound is that they hold the animal for 7 days and they do
not offer the option for adoption…so inevitably they’re euthanized” said Hawkins

Although the humane society needs more money, the board of directors has agreed
to try a six month contract with the county that would prolong the closing,
they are still waiting to hear if the county will accept.

Shon Sims, Director of the Humane Society is devastated…she feels like 6 years
of hard work for the community has been wasted, “I’ve tried really hard to make
sure the animals that leave our facility are healthy animals and that our
cleaning structure and disease protocol changed so we didn’t have the disease
presence we used too.”

You might also like:
3-Legged Dog Wins 1st Place In NYC Shelter Contest
This Memorial Day The Dog Files Remember Those Who Have ...
Obama and Bo: Birthday Buddies
How to Train a Dog to Heel
Playing Ball With A Dog And A… Bird?
LinkWithin
SEP 22, 2010COMMENTS: WRITE A COMMENT AND 0 REACTIONS

Problems loading Disqus?
blog comments powered by Disqus

The Dog Files on Facebook

Advertise On The Dog Files!

DONATIONS
Your generous donations make it possible for us to create more Dog Files
episodes.

THANKS!

Dog Files
dogfiles

dogfiles Thank God For Happy Endings! 100 Dogs Saved From Missouri Puppy Mill
http://ow.ly/2IvF9

dogfiles @DIATweets @Ant330 The link is bad. Please delete your tweet. The new
one is http://bit.ly/cgETxb Thanks!

dogfiles @LouDiamondz No problem!

dogfiles @MoxiePawsTM Can you delete your RT on @dogfiles That link is bad. I
just tweeted the correct link. Thanks!

Join the conversation

GraphicPlanet Creative...

...is a digital media studio obsessed with delivering the best HD Video, print
design, and website programming to our clients.

Friends of The Dog Files™...

In The Shelter Of Your Heart
Jeff Tisman Photography
St. Hubert’s Animal Welfare Center
Starlight Runner Entertainment
PHOTOS OF OUR DOGS

The Dog Files are TM & © 2010 GraphicPlanet Creative