[accmemberdiscussion] SAX- lifting hold up on Sunstein

  • From: "Theresa Moreno Cook" <southnmist@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Legal_Samoyed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <pet-law@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <NAIAandNAIATrustMembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <accmemberdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 15:37:03 -0500

Permission to cross post granted by author Deb Owens.  She called Chambliss
earlier today.

Theresa

The video HSUS wants to hide!

www.vidoosh. <http://www.vidoosh.tv/play.php?vid=4360> tv/play.php?vid=4360

  _____

I spoke with him-

Sax agreed to lift hold on Cass Sunstein  because:

Cass Sunstein has signed letter/contract stating he will not promote humans
suing on behalf of animals.

Sunstein drafted letter that said:

1. He would support 2nd amendment
2. He now states he does not think humans should be able to sue on behalf of
animals

http://www.porkmag.com/directories.asp?pgID=675
<http://www.porkmag.com/directories.asp?pgID=675&ed_id=7883> &ed_id=7883

Chambliss Lifts Hold on Regulatory Affairs Nominee (Audio)
By Pork news staff  |  Thursday, July 16, 2009

Senate Agriculture ranking member Saxby Chambliss (R-Ga.) is lifting the
hold that he placed on President Obama's pick to head OMB's Office of
Information and Regulatory Affairs. Cass Sunstein, Harvard University law
school professor, has argued for animals' right to file lawsuits against
humans.

AgriTalk host, Mike Adams, interviewed Chambliss on his change of heart and
more.

On Wednesday, Chambliss told his fellow senators, "I am not gonna keep him
from confirmation and I intend to lift my hold." That action could clear the
path for Sunstein to move through quick confirmation. In the OIRA job,
Sunstein would review and alter regulations created by federal agencies.

Chambliss' hold on Sunstein was triggered by the professor's animal rights'
views. Among them Sunstein has urged the "extensive regulation of the use of
animals in entertainment, scientific experiments, and agriculture." He also
has lectured in support of hunting bans.

Sunstein meet with Chambliss and farm group representatives on Tuesday.
Sunstein drafted a letter pledging not to "take any steps to promote
litigation on behalf of animals" and agreeing the law does not give animals
such rights. He also stated that he believes the Second Amendment protects
the right of individuals to bear arms.