[accmemberdiscussion] New study regarding spay/neuter and higher rate of cancer

  • From: Djsdosido@xxxxxxx
  • To: accmemberdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 14:26:52 EDT

Cross-posted with permission:

The study about this was done at  Purdue School of Veterinary Medicine
and the distinguished Drs. Glickman are  among the authors of the paper.
I looked at the survival curves which show  that the incidence of
osteosarcoma in Rottweilers neutered before 1 year of  age is 3.8 times
higher than the incidence of osteosarcoma in Rottweilers  that have never
been neutered. Although this study pertains to Rottweilers  only, my
breeder's veterinarian, Dr. S. Ettinger, the famous  veterinary
cardiologist and editor of the textbook of internal medicine  for
veterinarians, feels that it might be prudent that this study should  be
extrapolated to pertain to giant breeds in general, as osteosarcoma is  a
serious threat for all these breeds. For Rottweilers spayed or  neutered
after 3.5 years of age, the incidence of osteosarcoma is still  higher
than in Rottweilers never spayed or neutered. I have given quite  some
thought to this study, as my breeder strongly advises against  early
spay/neuter.
I have thought that my Newfoundland might do better in  performance
events if he were neutered, but obviously he cannot perform well  if he
is sick or if he's dead, so he remains intact and is now 3.5 years  old.
You can take a look at the article for yourselves at:
__http://cebp.http://cebp.http://cebp.http://cebphttp://ce_
(http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/11/11/1434.full?eaf_)
(_http://cebp.http://cebp.http://cebp.http://cebphttp://c_
(http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/11/11/1434.full?eaf) )  If I got this
wrong, you can go to my breeder's website at  www.newfoundlanddogwrong, y
scroll to the bottom of the home page and  click on the link to this
osteosarcoma study. For me, the most interesting  part is the survival
curves, which you can click on and  enlarge.

Priscilla Hensel, M.D.

Tinyurl link to the study  referenced above:

__http://tinyurl.http://tinyu_ (http://tinyurl.com/ykqm89l_)
(_http://tinyurl.http://tiny_ (http://tinyurl.com/ykqm89l) )

_http://tinyurl.http://tiny_ (http://tinyurl.com/ykqm89l)

Donna  & the Dosido Gang
Remlap, Alabama
Visit me at _www.doublenickellife.blogspot.com_
(http://www.doublenickellife.blogspot.com/)   and help support the Alabama
Canine Coalition by
shopping/searching through  _http://www.goodsearch.com_
(http://www.goodsearch.com/)
 and _http://www.igive.com_ (http://www.igive.com/)

Every year of  dog love is worth seven years of the human stuff. (Michael
Rosen)