[accmemberdiscussion] MSN slated for Memphis, TN

  • From: Djsdosido@xxxxxxx
  • To: accmemberdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 16:28:40 EDT

_http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/aug/11/the-yelping-begins-over-ma
ndatory-spayneuter/_
(http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/aug/11/the-yelping-begins-over-mandatory-spayneuter/)

Memphis City Council panel recommends  mandatory spay/neuter for cats, dogs
By Linda A. Moore
Posted August 11,  2010 at midnight

A City Council committee has recommended mandatory  spaying or
neutering of cats and dogs.

The ordinance for cats over 6  months old and dogs weighing 30 pounds
or more was approved unanimously by a  committee on Tuesday and will
move to the full council in two weeks for the  first of three votes.

Owners of fertile animals would pay a $200 one-time  fee, which would
authorize one litter per female dog during a 12-month  period.The
ordinance, sponsored by Councilman Shea Flinn, makes exceptions  for
police dogs, service dogs and working dogs.

They'd also pay a $35  annual license fee for fertile animals. Owners
of sterile animals would see  that reduced from $15 to $5.

Flinn first proposed a mandatory spay/neuter  ordinance for pit-bull
breeds in January. He had noticed a large number of  pits and pit
mixes when he visited the Memphis Animal Shelter after an  October law
enforcement raid there.

However, the breed-specific  ordinance was scrapped.

"This is something I've been working on for quite  some time at
various meetings with both supporters for mandatory spay/neuter  and
(those) against," Flinn said. "I can say that they're all in
agreement that they're not too thrilled with this legislation, which
leads me to believe I've done my job very well."

Both Donna Malone,  of Responsible Animal Owners of Tennessee, a group
that opposes a mandatory  spay/neuter ordinance, and Cindy Sanders, a
member of the Animal Services  Advisory Board, a body that favors a
mandatory ordinance, have problems with  the ordinance as written.

Malone believes the city has a good license law  that is not being
enforced.

"All of you who are out have seen animals  running around singularly
or in groups. It's dangerous. We want people to be  safe," she said.

But the additional fees on top of the cost to spay or  neuter present
a "repressive approach" for certain segments of society, she  said.

"There are people on low income or fixed incomes and they can in no
way meet these requirements," Malone said.

The animal advisory board  supports the ordinance, but not the 30-
pound limit.

"Our  overpopulation problem is due to unfettered mating out on the
streets. I do  have a problem with the 30-pound limit," said Sanders,
co-founder of  Community Action for Animals.

Flinn said a dog under 30 pounds could  cause injury, but an animal
more than 30 pounds can kill.

The  ordinance would be a secondary violation, Flinn said. Animal
control  officers would not seek out intact animals and veterinarians
will not be  required to enforce the ordinance, he said.

The public services and  neighborhoods committee also approved an
amendment to the vicious-animals  ordinance that would require a dog
that has bitten or attacked to be spayed  or neutered within 30 days.

During the Public Safety and Homeland  Security Committee meeting,
council members had asked for more details on  the Memphis Police
Department's response to dogs running lose on July 18.  The same dogs
attacked 71-year-old William Parker July 20 on North Manassas  near
Poplar. Parker suffered a heart attack and died.

Sherry Wooten,  23, let the dogs out of an apartment at 235 N.
Manassas and has been charged  with negligent homicide.

-- Linda A. Moore:  529-2702

Donna  & the Dosido Gang
Remlap, Alabama
Visit me at _www.doublenickellife.blogspot.com_
(http://www.doublenickellife.blogspot.com/)   and help support the Alabama
Canine Coalition by
shopping/searching through  _http://www.goodsearch.com_
(http://www.goodsearch.com/)
 and _http://www.igive.com_ (http://www.igive.com/)

Every year of  dog love is worth seven years of the human stuff. (Michael
Rosen)