[accmemberdiscussion] Re: Fwd: Case No. ZAM01-005 (Shelby Cty ordinance wording)

  • From: "Ivy Rice" <ilcrice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <accmemberdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 17:45:06 -0500

Looks good.  Thank you, Donna.  Ivy

From: accmemberdiscussion-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:accmemberdiscussion-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Djsdosido@xxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2010 4:11 PM
To: accmemberdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [accmemberdiscussion] Fwd: Case No. ZAM01-005 (Shelby Cty ordinance
wording)

The following was sent to the admin person for the Planning Commission this
afternoon.  I confirmed that she received the email and that she will have
copies for each commissioner before the meeting tonight.

Donna & the Dosido Gang
Remlap, Alabama
Visit me at www.doublenickellife.blogspot.com
<http://www.doublenickellife.blogspot.com/>  and help support the Alabama
Canine Coalition by shopping/searching through http://www.goodsearch.com
<http://www.goodsearch.com/>  and http://www.igive.com <http://www.igive.com/>
Every year of dog love is worth seven years of the human stuff. (Michael Rosen)

  _____

September 20, 2010

To the Honorable Members of the Shelby County Planning Commission:

Mr. Ralph Tomas, Chairman

Mr. James R. Land, Vice-Chairman              Mr. Scott Chambers

Ms. Rachel Garrett                                       Mr. Bill Kinnebrew

Mr. Robert Lewis Taylor                               Mr. Kenneth Wilder

Re:  Case No. ZAM01-005

Dear Commissioners:

On behalf of the responsible dog owners and breeders in the state of Alabama
and Shelby County, I am writing to you concerning the language proposed to
amend county zoning regulations in regards to the definition of commercial
kennels.

The Alabama Canine Coalition is the only organization in the state dedicated to
the support of responsible owners, their rights, and the welfare of their dogs.
 It is the official dog federation for the state designated by the American
Kennel Club.  It is made up of representatives from dog clubs, responsible
owners, professionals from the law and veterinary sciences areas and other
concerned citizens statewide with many years of experience working with and on
behalf of dogs and their owners.

Under the proposed wording of this definition “any combination of structures,
pens, areas or enclosures, covered or uncovered, where dogs, cats or other
domestic animals are kept for the purpose of boarding, breeding, raising,
grooming or training for sale, compensation or any other commercial purpose”
falls under a commercial designation.  This could potentially mean that any
Shelby County resident who grooms or trains dogs in his/her home could be
designated as a “commercial kennel” because the term “commercial”  is not
defined in the current regulations.  This could also potentially mean that
those residents (of which there are many) who breed animals as a hobby could
fall under the “commercial” designation, even if selling as few as one or two
puppies or kittens.

We respectfully request that the Commission table this amendment and reassess
this definition to eliminate the broad vagueness and ambiguity it includes, as
it is punitive and restrictive to responsible owners and breeders in Shelby
County as written.

The Alabama Canine Coalition supports and endorses fairly crafted laws that are
both people-friendly and dog-friendly and that work to protect responsible dog
owners’ rights while keeping community residents safe.  We believe that good
dogs deserve good laws and that good owners deserve respect and recognition.
We are always ready to help create and write legislation in support of those
beliefs.  We would be honored to help your Commission as well.  Please call on
us so that we can provide any assistance you may want or need.

Sincerely,

Donna P. Noland

Vice President

 <http://www.alabamacaninecoalition.org/> www.alabamacaninecoalition.org