[accmemberdiscussion] Fayette City Council considers BSL

  • From: "Theresa Moreno Cook" <southnmist@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <accmemberdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 13:59:29 -0500

Re-sending this since we were down last week.

  _____

sanews.com/article/20090520/NEWS/905199858/1007?Title=Fayette-considers-bann
ing-pit-bulls

or

http://tinyurl. <http://tinyurl.com/p749rg> com/p749rg

Fayette considers banning pit bulls

By Brian Reynolds Staff Writer

Published: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 3:30 a.m.

Last Modified: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 10:07 p.m.

Christina Selman was hospitalized after a neighbor's pit bulls attacked her
near her home in Fayette two months ago.

The three dogs bit her on her head, back, arms and legs, tearing her flesh
to the bone on one leg, before their owner pulled them away.

Now, the Fayette City Council is considering a proposed ordinance intended
to prevent similar attacks from happening again in the city.

The ordinance would ban any new pit bulls from the city and would require
those owners who already have the dogs to meet strict requirements,
including structures to contain the dogs, liability insurance and
registration for the animals.

'Under our current ordinance, we're only allowed to deal with a dog after
the dog has performed a dangerous act,' said City Councilman Mike Hardin,
who first brought up the issue shortly after the attack.

'By that time the damage is already done,' he said. 'If we had an ordinance
where pit bull dogs were not sanctioned in the city of Fayette, we'd come
much closer to preventing situations like this.'

Aaron Cannon, the owner of the dogs who bit Selman, had been sanctioned for
having too many dogs on his property before the attack. Police seized four
pit bulls and three pit bull mixes from Cannon after the attack.

The proposed ordinance is similar to laws in Irondale and Brookside that
have proved to be successful. Irondale's ordinance was passed in

1997 and the town no longer has a problem with pit bulls, Hardin said.

(Please see link for more info)

Theresa

Southern Mist Samoyeds