[accmemberdiscussion] Re: Education opportunities

  • From: Djsdosido@xxxxxxx
  • To: accmemberdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 09:05:55 EDT

Thank you, Theresa, for such a well-thought-out response to my  questions.
Generating good ideas is half of the equation.  Executing  them is the
other half.

To follow up on some of your thoughts:

*  Remember that the ACC has items for sale at Cafe Press with our  logo
and our tag line on them.  Of course, anyone could make up one of  their own
with some different verbiage on it if they wanted to.  And money  from sales
of those items goes to the ACC treasury.

*  Lots of the information on our web site could be used to make up  cards,
flyers, etc. as educational hand outs.  That's why it's up  there.  For
people to use in the education of others.  But it is up to  each person to do
this.  The ACC can't fund the printing and distribution  to everyone.  Each
person printing on an "as-needed" basis is more cost  effective for everyone.

I'd also like to add my agreement with your thoughts on making time and
putting forth effort to carry the ACC message.  It starts with each person  in
his/her own community.  Starting those conversations with friends,  family
and acquaintances.  Making those contacts with clubs, civic  organizations,
churches.  BEGIN WHERE YOU ARE.  Just as a pebble  dropped into a pool sends
out ripples to the farthest shore, so can all of us  individually.  As
Peggi alluded to in her post about the social movements  of the 60s, we are
trying to make a wave.  It may be hard to get  the momentum, but once it's
going, it picks up steam and is  self-propelled.

The ACC was formed to support the efforts of all responsible owners and
breeders in their choices of keeping and working with their animals.  We  try
to give you the tools for you to go out and slay dragons.  We can't  slay
them for you.  But we can try to supply the swords and the  shields.  The ACC
can do its best to make our message heard at the  state level.  But every
one of us individually can do something right  in our neighborhoods.  If you
think you are the only one singing this song,  go out and find 2 or 3
like-minded souls to help you build your own group in  your community.  There is
strength in numbers.  But somebody has to be  first and get the ball rolling.
 Be that first person.

Thanks for all your wonderful discussion on this.  I hope it inspires  all
of us to look around us and see how we can begin to reach out with our
message.

The Alabama Canine Coalition Mission  Statement:

The purpose and mission of the Alabama Canine Coalition, Inc. is to promote
 responsible dog ownership; to use all legal means to promote the general
welfare  of dogs and dog owners; to actively assist and/or participate in the
making and  passing of local, state and national legislation concerning
dogs and dog  owners; to bring such legislation to the attention of the members
of the  Coalition and to the general public; and, to disseminate
information and  knowledge regarding dogs and dog ownership to the general
public.

Donna & the Dosido Gang
Remlap, Alabama
Every year of dog  love is worth seven years of the human stuff. (Michael
Rosen)
visit me at _www.doublenickellife.blogspot.com_
(http://www.doublenickellife.blogspot.com/)

In a message dated 6/30/2009 6:39:41 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
southnmist@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

What do you think  would help you the most to help educate your friends,
family, co-workers on  the questions of responsible dog ownership and
breeding?
Being able to get  the word out/opportunities to talk about responsible
ownership and/or  breeding.  There are plenty of websites out there but people
don’t think  about looking for them.  Few people think about what it takes
to be  “responsible” past the basics of food, water, shelter, etc.  I find
more  people are “ignorant” about things not “ignoring” those  things.
What do you  consider an "educational opportunity" or a "teachable
moment"?
You have to create  the situation.  I think regular community events, not
necessarily animal  related ones, are good opportunities.  Things like the
parade, or maybe a  “Fun day at the park.”  At the parade, Leah and I had the
opportunity to  educate a few people about our respective breeds.  If we
had been more  organized we could have done a lot of good.  Sure some people
looked down  at us but whatever; we made the best of it.  Fun runs/fun walks
if  animals are allowed (and the person in shape to walk haha).  Heck do a
drink stand if you can’t handle walking it.  Events or places where you  can
wear a t-shirt with a message - think an ACC shirt promoting responsible
ownership, or Erica’s AR-HR shirts or Walt’s “Got 50?” shirts; I think
someone  said they have a “Friends don’t let friends donate to HSUS” shirt –
any shirt  that encourages people to ask questions, which then opens the door
for gentle  education.  Give them just enough info to make them ask for
more.   Newsletters are good; establishing relationships at local businesses
are  too.  While not everyone may be a “fancier” most everyone has a pet of
some sort.  Articles to local papers are really great; so is sponsoring
community activities.  DEVELOP RELATIONSHIPS with people, even if they  don’t
always have the same thoughts as you (if they own a dog and want to keep
their right to “own” it then form a relationship!).  Don’t be preachy;
remember we all started off new at one time or  another!
If you had $100 to  devote to educating others about the ACC mission, how
would you spend  it?
I’d have a few  shirts made (see above), a bumper sticker that was short
but to the point, and  maybe cards or fliers that could be handed out to
anyone that asks about my  shirt or bumper sticker (a few quotes and websites
plus contact info if so  they could learn more).  Maybe a rubber stamp or
stickers to put the  message on outgoing mail.  Or maybe spend it on those
search
engine  generator things that make sure your website comes up when various
keywords  are searched online.
Over the past 20  or so months, the ACC Board has discussed many different
ideas for publicizing  our mission.  Most of them were very good ideas.
Most of them cost  money we didn't have.  Most of them required volunteers we
could never  rally.  I wish I could say that those two things have changed.
I  don't believe they have.  I'd love to be proved wrong  though.
Shortly we will be  working on finding leadership for 2010 for the ACC.
The organization  can't move forward without good leadership and committed
volunteers to do the  heavy lifting.  So, when you are thinking about what the
ACC can do to  help you, please remember that the organization needs you to
help it as  well.  It can't survive otherwise.
I have to agree  with Donna that we need volunteers and we need money.
With an  established organization, it prob wouldn’t be a big deal that the
membership  is scattered.  But in a new group, distance makes it hard to get
organized to move forward.  If we had a few people in each area that  could
work together to do outreach/recruit others that would be great!  I  know we
all have lives and other priorities but I think with some direction  and a
game plan people would be more apt to volunteer or MAKE TIME to  contribute
(key phrase = MAKE TIME).  NONE OF US HAS “SPARE TIME” and few  of us have
the inclination to develop game plans.  It’s hard to volunteer  when there is
no organized effort, and it’s hard to keep coming up with ideas  if no one
helps follow through with them.  Sorry to be blunt; I want the  ACC to be
successful and hope that in the next few months we can get a plan  together to
educate the public.  For a while I was pretty frustrated to  be the only
person (that I knew of) that included the ACC in their e-mail  signature, but I’
ve gotten past that now.  I realize it is an individual  choice to include
it or not include it and I judge no one about it.  But  going back to
volunteers, if people that lived close by could work together in  their
respective
areas, towards a big ACC state-wide goal, I think things  could be
accomplished.  JMHO.
Also JMO but we  need to work with people involved with different species
of animals.   That’s why I bought the domain _www.raoal.com_
(http://www.raoal.com/) .  It’s not an  organization; it’s just a spot where
(hopefully, if
I can make time to work on  it) people that own various animals can look up
information w/out having to  join a group or email list.  There are many
websites and groups out there  that “specialize” in different things and thus
provide different information.  I think all of these sites and groups can
work together as they all  target different things that may appeal to us and
those we are trying to  reach.
IMO there is a  difference between “outreach and “recruitment.”  To me, “
outreach” is  touching base with people, letting them know what’s going on
and helping them  contact their representatives (and hopefully their frien
ds).   “Recruitment” is getting people to join and help us actively promote
our  goals.

Everyone PLEASE  remember you can’t keep counting on others to do the work
for you.  Look  at CA.  I bet there are literally thousands of fanciers that
let others  do the dirty work...now they are faced with one of the worst
bills  possible.  Same with TN.  I’ve said it a million times; we still  have
time to be proactive.  Bills are being pre-filed in AL now.  I haven’t
checked lately, but a/o last week there were no animal related bills.  Will HSUS
try and come back next year?  I don’t know, but we need  to be ready for
them if they do.
Theresa
Legislative  Committee, Samoyed Club of America
The video HSUS  wants to hide!
_www.vidoosh.tv/play.php?vid=4360_
(http://www.vidoosh.tv/play.php?vid=4360)

**************Dell Laptops: Huge Savings on Popular Laptops – Deals