[accmemberdiscussion] Did You Know You’re A Redneck? | Cattle Network

  • From: Baba Monk <babamonk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: accmemberdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 09:20:00 -0500

08/17/2010 01:31PM
Average rating:
on
(2)

  Bookmark
 Subscribe
RSS
 Printer Friendly
 Send To A Friend
“These people are rednecks,” Bryan Monell, an animal rights activist who
specializes in undercover efforts, told a group of fellow activists in
describing folks who work with animals. “We are superior,” he added.

Ponder on that a bit—they are superior, not just to you, but to the “clueless
consumer” as well. They are superior beings-- they just know better than all
the rest of us. That’s the lifeblood that runs through animal activists’ veins.

In the early-1990s I attended two separate national animal rights’ conferences
in Washington, D.C. It was quite an experience, especially since I applied
Monell’s tactic, I went undercover. I told people that I was newly engaged in
the movement and still finding my way.

Talk about feeling like a fish out of water. As you can imagine it was
uncomfortable, but mostly it was extremely frustrating because not only
couldn’t I speak up to correct the blatant falsehoods, I had to respond as if I
agreed with the rhetoric and ideas. The multiple-day event was part education
(for me and the activists), part motivation and part circus. The actual number
attending clouds my memory, but it was in the neighborhood of 600 to 800
people.

I heard some amazing things, some crazy things and some flat out scary
things—things that would be hard to convince others that I was not simply
making up.

Just a few weeks ago two such conferences were held in the nation’s capital—the
Animal Rights 2010 Conference and the Humane Society of the United States’
Taking Action for Animals. In total, something like 1,000 activists
participated.

In some ways, more than 15 years later, the movement is the same, mostly in
terms of rhetoric. They align animal rights with the women’s movement, civil
rights or the holocaust.

Common quotes still surface, such as: “Owning animals is the equivalent of
slavery,” says Hope Bohnec, In Defense of Animals; “I have no problem with
breaking and entering, destroying labs, burning buildings and busting open
cages,” says Camille Hankins, Animal Liberation spokesperson.

One that’s particularly disturbing because it comes from a university professor
is “We should distinguish a message from less meat, because we want no meat,”
says Carrie Packwood, University of Georgia.

But the movement’s tactics, at least those exposed to the public are quite
different. All in all, the animal rights movement is more polished and focused
today. Even back in the 1990s it was no longer a new movement and the public
generally shrugged it off. The activists were increasingly organized, but they
were grasping at topics. Their efforts were radical, they focused on laboratory
animal testing, not eating meat and throwing paint on people who wore fur.
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals was in the driver’s seat.

Today, HSUS is the kingpin, as its more mainstream messages and tactics are
more palatable to the public, which has helped get results such asProposition 2
in California.

You don’t hear much from PETA these days, but HSUS is a wolf in sheep’s
clothing as PETA connections have built its foundation.

The movement ranks animal agriculture among its top focus. There’s less
reliance on shock value and more on businesses (owning stocks to influence
company decisions), legislation, regulation, public policy and public
perception.

“Any state with an (ballot) initiative process is in our radar,” said Jennifer
Hillman, HSUS.

But make no mistake, two threads remain intact between then and now—HSUS and
animal rights remains a threat to animal agriculture and the end goal is
veganism (not just vegetarianism). The goal is certainly not pasture-raised,
“natural”, “organic” meat. It’s not about the size of the pen or the animal’s
feeding, handling and care. The public needs to understand this, but so does
agriculture. Anyone with even one animal on their land needs to recognize that
that animal agriculture is one issue in the activist’s heart and mind.

“I dream of a vegan world; that’s where I want everything to go,” said Gene
Baur, Farm Sanctuary.

And remember, they are superior to the rest of us.

By Marlys Miller, editor Pork magazine
3 COMMENTS
add comment
Jennifer Trout, MD, August 17, 2010 08:18
report abuse
That's "Dr Redneck" to you, Bryan!

Dr Jennifer Trout, DVM
Furn Dale Holsteins
Fallston, MD
littleblackdogs, Pennsylvania, August 17, 2010 05:36
report abuse
Jeeze Marie, does anyone think for themselves anymore?

This is how it goes, right?
First dogs and cats, then cows and chickens and birds and fish..the frightening
slippery slope away from torment and back to good ole' fashioned animal
husbandry, the kind my proud Christian 'redneck' Arkansas grandparents
practiced every single day of their farming lives.. .

God forbid...

It's a fear worse than Fidel...

So now we have foisted upon us the goose-stepping D.C. lobbyist and P.R.
henchmen spreading fearful and inconceivably ridiculous rumors that ANY support
of the goals of the Humane Society or any other 'animal rights activist' leads
directly to Government Enforced National Vegetarianism!

Purina and Monsanto and Tyson's and McDonalds and Con-Agra and all the other
BILLION dollar multinational giants of the food industry plus OUR WAY OF LIFE
and OUR FREEDOMS to be driven out of town by The Mighty Wayne Pacelle!!!

The sheer stupidity of all this astounds me and I am too old to be astounded.

Was everyone asleep during Economy class?

The word isn't 'redneck'...where I come from that's a compliment..
It's 'ignorant'..

Nowhere is that a compliment.
steven matthews, md, August 17, 2010 04:28
report abuse
"From my cold dead hands" will they take my animals.

Latest Stories

VAN Newswire

Popular News
Video: Boxed Beef Report - Prices Continue To March Higher
Video: Corn Report - Cash Prices Approach New Highs
CME Livestock Outlook: Higher Hogs Calls; Most Cattle Firm
US Cash Cattle Preopen: Markets Extend Tuesday's Inactivity
Schwieterman: Feeder Cattle Futures Higher, Corn To Test Yesterday's Highs &
Lows
Texas Crop, Weather: Pakistan Flooding/World Demand Could Mean Higher Cotton
Prices
OSHA Fines Wisconsin Grain Company Again, This Time For $375K
Ag Economist: Today's Farmer Should Think Like A CFO
Weather Report: Hot & Dry Conditions Favor Crops In West, Cooler On The Plains
All News
EDUCATION CENTER

EXPRESS ®
Clinical Signs That Often Accompany Pasteurella Or Mycoplasma Infections
Request More Information

Intervet Schering Plough Animal Health ®
The Science behind Revalor-XS
Request More Information

Baytril® 100 Approved For Dairy Replacement Heifers
Request More Information

Alpharma
Aureomycin® + Bovatec®
Request More Information

SUREHEALTH
Visit Web Site
Request More Information

Vira Shield®
IBR Study
Request More Information

Cattle Watch
Visit Web Site
Request More Information

Healthy Heifer ®
Get More Prevention Tips
Request More Information
Home | World News | Latest News | Popular News | Company News | Partners News |
Cow Calf | Cattle Breeds | Cattle Feeding | Cattle Processing | Feeder Cattle |
Beef Retail
Baby Calf Health | Fly Control | Hot Topics | Risk Management | BVD Resources |
Cattle Features | Cattle Identification
Video News | Preconditioning | Cattle On Feed | Feed Byproducts | Grains |
Energy | Swine | Poultry | Charts | Contact Us | Newsletters | RSS

SEARCH

Enter Keyword/s
© 2010 Vance Publishing All Rights Reserved.Vance Publishing  |
http://www.CattleNetwork.com  |  AgNetwork  |  CattleStore  |  Drovers |
PorkMag
DairyHerd | Bovine Veterinarian | The Pork Network | Poultry Network | The
Dairy Network

PGT: 11.84 sec

Error

Close