[accmemberdiscussion] AL: Mobile County Commission approves mandatory spay and neuter program for animal shelter

  • From: Theresa M Cook <southnmist@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ACC <accmemberdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ALPet-Law <alpet-law@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Legal Samoyed <legal_samoyed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 15:20:27 -0600

http://tinyurl.com/4gtjwa6

Mobile County Commission approves mandatory spay and neuter program for animal
shelter

Published: Tuesday, March 01, 2011, 9:00 AM
 By Robert McClendon, Press-Register

MOBILE, Ala. -- Starting this month, all pets adopted from the Mobile County
Animal Shelter will be spayed or neutered prior to being released to their new
owners.
The County Commission voted Monday to start the mandatory spay and neuter
program.
Officials hope to reduce the stray population in the county, which they say is
rising.
"We feel like this is the missing link in our animal control mission," Donna
Jones, county director of general services, told the commission last week.
By law, newly adopted pets must be spayed or neutered within 30 days, Jones
said, but there is no way to enforce it.
Now, the shelter can be sure that its dogs and cats don’t contribute to the
stray population after they are released back into the community.
The county is raising adoption fees and other charges in order to fund the
program, including:

For dogs, the fee for those already spayed or neutered will increase to $40
from $25. Adopting a dog that needs the procedure will cost $80.
For cats, the fee for those already spayed or neutered will increase to $30
from $10; fees for those needing the procedure will be $60.
Rescue groups, which previously did not have to pay an adoption fee, will have
to pay $70 for a dog and $55 for a cat, said Nancy Johnson, a county
Spokeswoman, in an e-mail.
Johnson said that rescue groups had been previously required to pay for the
procedure out of pocket when they accepted responsibility for an animal. "This
is a cost they routinely have to cover, and our prices will be a savings for
them, too," she said.
The procedures will be performed by a trio of veterinary clinics that bid on
contracts with the county.

© 2011 al.com. All rights reserved.

Theresa
HSUS OPERATES NO SHELTERS!
Humane Watch:  The TRUTH about the Humane Society of the United States!
The video HSUS doesn't want you to see!
RAOAL:  Responsible Animal Owners of Alabama
~~~If you can't stand BEHIND our troops...feel free to stand in FRONT of
them!!! ~~~