[AI] Copy right law

  • From: "Dipendra Manocha" <dipendra.manocha@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <accessindia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 13:42:05 +0530

Hello friends

The copy right law is under revision proess. The new draft is online for
comments. The proposed change in this law for persons with disability is as
under:

( z) the making of a three- dimensional object from a two dimensional
artistic work, such as a technical drawing, for the purposes of
za) The reproduction, issue of copies or communication to the public of any
work in a
format, including sign language, specially designed only for the use of
persons suffering from a visual, aural or other disability that prevents
their enjoyment of such works in their normal format.

This is proposed in page 32 of 41 in the draft. This draft is available at
http://www.copyright.gov.in

The comments can be given online for this.

The world Intelectual  property organisation WIPO has made following
proposal to all countries to incorporate:
***
1. Notwithstanding the provisions of Section 6(1)(a) and (d), it shall
be permitted without the authorization of the author or other owner of
copyright to reproduce a published work for visually impaired persons in
an alternative manner or form which enables their perception of the
work, and to distribute the copies exclusively to those persons,
provided that the work is not reasonably available in an identical or
largely equivalent form enabling its perception by the visually
impaired; and the reproduction and distribution are made on a non-profit
basis.
2. The distribution is also permitted in case the copies have been made
abroad and the conditions mentioned above have been fulfilled.
***

As we can see that proposed provision is extremely limited and my not be
able to cover any format except braille. It also doesn't address the
international sharing of materials in accessible formats.  We need to make
our comments urgently and very strongly. Only 10 days remain for putting our
comments. So let us act urgently on this issue and do what ever we can do on
this.

To unsubscribe from the list, please send a message to
accessindia-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the subject "unsubscribe" without the
quotation marks.