[accessiblelinux] getting kicked out of a GUI application

  • From: Al Sten-Clanton <albert.e.sten_clanton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: accessiblelinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 21:44:32 -0400

Greetings!

Can somebody tell me how to lengthen or eliminate the time that Gnome (at least, I assume it's Gnome) lets me sit idly before it kicks out and requires me to use my password to get back in?

Here's an example. I was on a Web site, listening to an old radio show. When the show was over, I used alt-f4 in the hope of getting back to the relevant site or getting out ofFirefox altogether. Instead, I found I had to type my password; only after that could I get off the site. I've always thought the time allowed for me to do nothing was too short, but in this instance it was quite irritating.

Has this to do with the Gnome screensaver, which I've noticed only a day or two ago, or something else? Whatever it is, how can I change the time or get the thing out of the way? (I realize that there's a place for such time limits, but it's not on my Linux box here.) Thanks!

Also, I note with a modicum of pleasure that this looks to be the first e-mail I'll have sent to a Linux list from my Linux machine. Some things that others seem to do in a flash seem to take me a very long time indeed. Anyway, thanks again.

Al
Tips and tricks to make Linux work for you are at:
http://www.stormdragon.us/
To post messages to the list send mail to:
accessiblelinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Change your subscription or the way you receive mail at:
//www.freelists.org/list/accessiblelinux
The List's archives are located at:
//www.freelists.org/archive/accessiblelinux
Learn the Linux command line: