[accessiblelinux] Re: Adding volume controls to orca-customizations.py

  • From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Storm Dragon <stormdragon2976@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 15:13:36 -0400

Hi, Storm.  I'm a bit confused by the question, because Attila already
assigned volume up to Orca+Page Up, volume down to Orca+Page Down, and Mute
to Orca+End.  So, err... yes, assigning volume control to Orca+movement keys
is fine, and in fact better, I think.  Isaac pointed out that users don't
really use the Vinux keybindings Orca+Left for decrease pitch and Orca+Right
for increase pitch.  His thinking is that users set pitch only once in a
great while, and then leave it alone, so it is better off just being in the
Orca settings dialog.  I tend to agree with this.  However, users do use
Orca+Up and Orca+Down for increase/decrease speech rate, so those are good
additions in Vinux.  I think the natural choices for volume up/down are
either the Orca+Page UP/Down keys, or the Orca+Left/Right keys.  Mute on End
is ok, but I don't know the end key position very well, and I've already
accidentally typed Orca+End once.  Since Attila doesn't ask the computer to
announce "Mute", I thought I had crashed Orca, but restarting it didn't
work.  It took me about 10 minutes of debugging to figure out that I had
muted the speakers.  So, I would not mind seeing mute move to say
Orca+Delete, which is harder for me to accidentally press and easier for my
fingers to find.  That said, I'm still
quite ok with Attila's assignements.

Thanks,
Bill