accessible-iOS Re: Fwd: Urgent Message to all Northern California NLS BARD Patrons

  • From: christopher nusbaum <dotkid.nusbaum@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "accessible-ios@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <accessible-ios@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 06:58:22 -0400

I would imagine that this would affect not only NLS patrons in California,
but all NLS patrons across the country. I have not received any similar
communication from the director of our library here in Maryland, but we
will probably get an email like this in the near future. PersonY, I am not
very worried about this, as Congress always seems to come up with a plan
moments before the shutdown, but thank you for passing the advanced warning
on to us.

Chris Nusbaum

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 26, 2013, at 7:37 PM, Chela Robles <cdrobles693@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Hello to those who are patrons in Northern California, this is very
important I just got word of this so please read on. Alan Lemly you may
want to pass this announcement to the Bard Talk list as well. Sorry if I'm
behind on email.

-------- Original Message --------  Subject: Urgent Message to all Northern
California NLS BARD Patrons  Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 20:12:43 +0000
From: Braille
and Talking Book Library@CSL <btbl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <btbl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  To:
Braille and Talking Book Library@CSL
<btbl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx><btbl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

  Dear Northern California NLS Network Library BARD Patron,

We’re writing to give you advance warning in case there is a federal
government shut down next week. If the federal government closes effective
October 1, 2013, the National Library Service (NLS) will be forced to shut
down the Braille and Audio Reading Download (BARD) and other online
databases such as the Voyager catalog until a federal spending plan is
approved.  The Braille and Talking Book Library in Sacramento, Fresno
Talking Book Library for the Blind, and San Francisco Public Library for
the Blind and Print Disabled will remain open to serve you, but we may be
limited in our ability to use NLS products and services.

You may wish to download additional books before October 1 in the event
access to BARD becomes unavailable for an undetermined interval.

Sincerely,

Mike L. Marlin,

Director, Braille and Talking Book Library

California State Library

900 N Street, Suite 110

PO Box 942837

Sacramento, CA