[accesscomp] Re: a leatherworks company has approached me.

  • From: "Scott Granados" <gsgranados@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <accesscomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 21:43:23 -0700

Ok, bringing this back on topic more or less so we stay with the spirit of the
list...

    Geeky or bad 70's bands aside, I could almost see wearing something like
that at certain times.  Personally, I've taken to streamlining my life and the
baggage I carry around which is why I jumped on the cell phone band wagon but
this wasn't always the case.  We blind at times have a lot of devices to carry
and a jacket complete with wire runs isn't exactly a bad thing.  If you're
style conscious s though it's probably a no go but as I've offen said,
"functionality is king".  Sometimes functionality is just what something is
about although I do have some real issues about the lack of flavor blindness
products have across the board.

    Another serious suggestion to the OP would be a modified laptop case.
Technical employees like myself and many others probably on this list have a
lot of devices to carry and then there's the blind stuff you have to pile on
top.  A decent bag able to hold a 17 inch laptop, braille display, a higher
pocket count and what about a slot so possibly the flap could be opened and you
could read / control your braille device through the bag.  (folks with braille
notes using Sendero may find this useful).  Have the strap adjustable so you
can adjust the bag so it hangs where you can quickly drop your hand (say at a
traffic light) and quickly read your status.  (braille GPS in high noise
settings just makes sense)  I know that there are nice laptop bags and devices
like the BN come with cases and can have specific cases ordered but by the time
you're done you may have 2 - 3 or more bags on sholder straps, a cane or dog,
cell phone on a belt clip, gps in a pocket, lunch in a paper bag and all the
sudden you need to fish in a pocket to find that month rail pass (and your
late) so you're there fighting with tons of packages.  Wrapping that all up in
to one case with a single secure strap could be a nice step towards
streamlining the load.
    Another configuration could be the bag may open like a book left to right
instead of like a car hood top to bottom.  The braille display could be in the
left half and the laptop in the right so you could zip open the bag and lay the
two devices side by side in the case protecting them both.  That way some yuts
with a big gulp who sits down next to you on the train and decides to drop
their drink in your lap doesn't do 10 large worth of damage.  Leather is nice
but weather proofing is key.  Make the bag easy to clean and functional so if
you're using the GPS in the San Francisco down pours again you don't lose ten
large worth of hardware.

    Here's another idea, how about installing a LOJAC type system in the lining
of the bag.  Someone steels your bag and obviously you can't see who so you
dial a service center, your bag is pinged and the police alerted to it's
location.  This feature is included as a feature in most laptops now so putting
in a bag should be trivial.  If you're carrying 6 to 12 thousand worth of
hardware you might want to have a recovery option.  Lock is tampered with,
boomb the bag phones home, stuff like that.  (wouldn't you pay $100 yearly or
similar to have bag tracking)  I've had 3 laptops stolen so I'd buy this, (one
of the reasons I bought a new laptop with a tracking feature)

How's that, what do others thing?

To the OP I hope you find this answer more valuable and the suggestions usable.