[accesscomp] Watching and Recording TV on Your Computer

  • From: "Reginald George" <adapt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Adaptive technology information and support." <ati@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <accesscomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 14:10:02 -0500

Hopefully this article by Corey Ballard, linked from the Serotech
tech chat podcast referenced in Top Tech Tidbits this week will help.  To
find the original article and download the audio demonstration go to
http://access4.us/2010/03/accessibledvr/#more-101

Time to Pack Up Your Zenith Speak-EZ: An Accessible DVR Solution is Here

Are you still recording your favorite shows on that Zenith Speak-EZ VCR? If
so, it is time to get into the 21st century. I know I know, I had one of
those VCRs and it was great. It was the first time I could record a show
without having someone help me. But I am here to tell you, you don't have to
stay awake at night worrying when your little video friend might record his
last show.
I have been using a very accessible method for recording all my shows that
requires no monthly fees. It offers an accessible TV guide, the ability to
record single shows or entire series, and also allows me to browse my movie
collection without putting in a single DVD. OK, I know you are just dying to
know what it is. The funny thing is, a lot of you already have it in your
house.
Windows Media Center is probably one of the best things I have added to my
living room. Media Center is a software solution that comes bundled free
with windows Vista Home Premium, Vista Ultimate, and all versions of Windows
7 except for Windows 7 Starter. For you windows XP users, there was a
specific version of XP released called Windows XP Media Center 2005. It was
basically XP Pro with Media Center added.
What Does Media Center Do
Media Center gives you an accessible way to have your own DVR. You can
browse the TV guide, record single episodes, record entire series, browse
recorded shows, delete any recorded show, and so much more. You can do all
of this from the comfort of your couch with the Media Center remote control.
The best part is that you do not have to pay any cable company a monthly fee
for the service. Note: You do have to have some type of TV signal, either
over the air, cable, or satellite. Also, the only limitation to how many
shows you can record is the available space on your hard drive. For less
than $100 you can add a 1 TB drive and store hundreds of episodes of your
favorite shows.
User Interface
The media Center that ships with both Vista and Windows 7 are very similar.
When you launch Media Center you are presented with what they call strips.
These strips are organized vertically and you move horizontally through the
strips. So, the TV strip in windows 7 Media Center has the following
horizontal options:
Recorded Shows
Guide
Internet TV
Live TV
Just use the right arrow, either on the remote or your keyboard to move
through the options. To move to another strip, simply use your up or down
arrow.
TV
Media Center gives you the ability to watch live TV, watch any recorded
shows, and browse the TV guide, and record single episodes or the entire
series of your favorite shows. Note: In order to watch or record TV, you
need a TV tuner card installed in your computer.
Guide
When you choose the guide option, under the TV strip, the accessible guide
opens. It is very similar to an Excel spreadsheet. The channels run down the
left Colum while the show times run across horizontally. Simply up and down
arrow through the stations to hear what is currently playing. Move right to
see what is on in the future. After the show title is announced, Media
Center announces the times it is on and a little synopsis of the episode, if
it is available. The Media Center guide stores data for two weeks of future
shows. If you would prefer to view the station in a vertical list view,
simply press enter on the station title. This will display the shows in a
vertical manor. When you find a show you want to watch, simply press enter
on it. If it is a show that is currently playing, Media Center will begin
playback. If it is a show on in the future, Media Center gives you the
option to either record the episode or record the entire series.
Live TV
Watching live TV on Media Center is very easy. Simply choose a show
currently on from the guide or choose live TV from the TV strip. Simply use
the channel up and down buttons, on your remote, to change the channels. You
can also use the numeric keypad to enter in the channel you want.
Media Center also allows you to pause live TV. While watching a show, simply
press the pause button and Media Center begins recording the show. When you
come back to it, press play and playback resumes from where you left off.
Now, you can use the skip forward and skip backwards button to move ahead in
the program. This is a great way to skip through commercials. You can also
press the record button any time to begin recording the show you are
currently watching.
Recording TV
Media Center makes it very easy to both record shows and play them back. You
can browse the TV guide and choose what shows to record. Once they have
recorded, simply choose the Recorded TV option under the TV strip.
You are placed in a horizontal menu where you can right and left arrow
through your recorded titles. Press enter on a show name, and Media Center
displays the shows for that title. Using your right and left arrow moves
through the different episodes. Press enter on a show and you can watch the
show or delete it. If you have started watching the show already, it will
ask you if you would like to resume from where you left off, start over, or
delete the show.
Other Strips
Media offers you a few other strips such as Music, Movies, and pictures.
Each strip has a few options within them and most are accessible.
Movies Strip
The movies strip allows you to browse your movie collection. When I choose
Movies, I am presented with a two Colum horizontal list of all my movies. I
can simply use my arrows to browse through my collection and hit play on a
movie I want to watch. When you launch movies for the first time, Media
Center will ask you if you would like to add media. Press yes and follow the
instructions. Basically you are telling Media Center which folders on your
computer contain movies. So, on my computer, I have an external drive with a
folder called movies. I told Media Center to watch that folder and anytime I
add a new movie, it is updated in Media Center. You will need to use a
program like DVD Shrink to rip your movies to your computer.
Another great option under the movie strip is Netflix. Vista and Windows 7
media Center offers you Netflix Stream Instantly support. So, if you are a
Netflix subscriber, you can browse your instant Q and watch movies streamed
from Netflix all by controlling it with your Media Center remote.
Music Strip
The music strip works very similar to the movies strip. The first time you
launch the music option, media Center will ask you if you would like to add
media. Again, follow the steps and tell media Center which folders contain
music files. Once your music collection has been indexed, you can browse by
artist, title, album, or genre. Media Center uses your ID3 tags to organize
your music.
Pictures Strip
The picture strip allows you to display all your pictures or home movies.
You can have media center automatically play a slide show of all your
pictures. The set up process is just like the process for music and movies.
Requirements
In order for Media Center to work as explained in this review, you need the
following hardware and/or software.
Windows Vista Home Premium or Vista ultimate
Any version of Windows 7 except for Windows 7 Starter
Media Center Remote Control
TV Tuner Card (Media Center supports up to four tuner cards. The number of
cards dictates how many shows you can record or watch at the same time.)
TV Source (Either over the air, cable, or satellite)
DVD ripping software (In order to store and playback movies via Media
Center)
A Screen Reader
Audio Demo of Media Center with Jaws 11
Stream a demo of Windows 7 media Center with JFW 11

Download a demo of Windows 7 Media Center with JFW 11
Final Thoughts
I have been using media Center for about three years and can't imagine my
entertainment system without it. I love the ability to watch shows when I
want to, browse an accessible guide, and record shows without any
assistance. Browsing my large DVD collection is a breeze with Media Center.
No longer, do I have to read endless Braille labels to find the movie I am
searching for. Now, I can just sit back on the couch and find the movie just
like that. Playing my favorite tunes in the living room is also a snap with
Media Center. Although Media Center takes a bit of know how to get it up and
running, I feel most people who are comfortable with a computer, would have
no problems getting it up and running.