[accesscomp] Newsletter from portal Tutoring

  • From: "Robert Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <aw-announcemeents@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 06:26:52 -0700

Portal Tutor ing - Fall 2015 Newsletter

Portal Tutoring

Portal Tutoring's Web Site: http://www.portaltutoring.info

Phone: (585) 244-0477

Letter From the Editor

Welcome to Portal Tutoring's fall newsletter. As usual, we have a great deal
to tell you, and we have some new offerings. You will read about our new
certification by Acces-VR, teaching Braille to the deaf-blind, recent
upgrades in computer technology, and more. We hope that you all had a happy
and productive summer and that you are ready for the new academic year to
begin.

It's been a while since Portal Tutoring has sent out a newsletter, and we're
happy to do so now. We hope that you will enjoy the articles below.

Private Vendor for Acces-VR

In August of 2014, Portal Tutoring was pleased and proud to add

certification as an Independent Vendor for Acces-VR to its list of

abilities. This certification will allow us to be paid to tutor not only

those who are getting services from NYSCB, (New York State Commission for

the Blind), but those who are getting services from Acces-VR. We are happy

to be working with this group of talented counselors.

New Windows Operating System

As many of you know, Microsoft Corporation has introduced a new operating

system, Windows 10. Portal Tutoring will be delving into this operating

system soon, learning how to use it, and generally becoming acquainted

with it. Portal Tutoring should be ready to work with students who need

computer training in this OS by January of 2016.

Teaching Braille to Adults

During the past couple of years, Portal Tutoring has been privileged to

teach Braille to several students. These students have all been adults who

have either lost their sight recently or who are losing their vision. It

has been a distinct pleasure to watch these students as they learn and

grow in their new skill. It is rewarding to know that these individuals

will be literate again.

Literacy has many definitions, but I use it to indicate the ability to

encode and decode the symbols which are used to reproduce spoken language

in a permanent form. Listening to someone reading aloud either a

computerized voice or that of a human being is not the same as being able

to decode the letters for oneself. Braille gives an individual this

freedom.

Some of my new students are deaf-blind. This is a truly exciting challenge

in teaching. I work with an interpreter in order to make the tutoring

possible. Working with an interpreter has taught me a great deal about

people who are deaf-blind as well as about myself. It is stretching my

abilities and causing me to look at teaching in a new way.

Working With Project Starfish

Project Starfish is a non-profit organization whose purpose is to train

blind and visually impaired individuals for the job market. they offer

training in computers and in business, and they encourage their students to

start their own businesses. they offer their students an opportunity to

gain skills and experience by pairing them with small businesses who need

their talents. The students work for these organizations and then move on

to other employment or to their own business ventures. You can find more

information about this organization at: http://www.pstarfish.org.

Portal Tutoring will be offering a monthly tutorial in Business Writing

for Project Starfish, beginning on September 10th. More about this venture

will follow.

Continuing Education

Ms. Parsons, Portal Tutoring's sole tutor and CEO participated in several

webinars this year. Most of these were held online. We attended several

webinars given by EASI (Equal Access to Software and

Information) including two on how to use Microsoft Word to create DAISY

content, a refresher course on PowerPoint, A four-part course on Microsoft

Word, information on 3D printers and graphics from Benetech, and

webinars from AI Squared on how to use Window-Eyes more effectively to

surf the web.. In addition, Portal Tutoring's CEO took a course in Windows

10 so that she would be able to use the new OS more easily. Portal Tutoring

intends to continue to take advantage of all possible avenues for continuing

education so that when you employ Portal Tutoring

or purchase our training materials, you can have the most up-to-date

information possible.

The Importance Of Networking

Portal Tutoring is pleased to announce that our networking with

ABVI-Goodwill of the Finger lakes is continuing. Both Portal Tutoring and

the Computer Center personnel at ABVI-Goodwill have benefitted greatly

from this opportunity to network. Portal Tutoring believes that by

networking, organizations and individuals can improve themselves through

the exchange of ideas.

Announcements

This fall, we will be updating our offerings at the bookstore, so check

out our web site to see what's new and different. In addition, we would

like to remind you that you can now pay for any Portal Tutoring training

or materials with a credit card through Paypal. Paypal will process your

credit card and you do not have to sign up with them or be connected with

them in any way at all. We continue to take money orders or personal

checks when necessary.

Thank you! We would like to take this opportunity to thank all our

patrons, both past and present. We continue to serve you, our students to

the best of our ability.

Unsubscribing: If you no longer wish to receive our newsletter, please do

not hesitate to contact us at the above email address or by calling us. We

will immediately remove your name from our list.

Ann K. Parsons

akp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.portaltutoring.info

"All that is gold does not glitter,

Not all those who wander are lost." JRRT

ng.info

Robert Acosta, President

Helping Hands for the Blind

(818) 998-0044