[accesscomp] Fw: Shutdown Windows 8 Easier or any other version of windows, Dan's tip for June 11 2013

  • From: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tektalk discussion" <tektalkdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "access comp" <accesscomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 13:28:52 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: dan Thompson
To: dan Thompson
Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 7:50 AM
Subject: Shutdown Windows 8 Easier or any other version of windows, Dan's tip
for June 11 2013

Shutdown Windows 8 Easier With the Power Button

Below are instructions regarding how to create a power button in Windows-8 for
mouse and screenreader users.  I am also offering two batch files for shutdown
and restart that will work in Windows vista through Windows-8.  If a member
wishes one of these batch files, email me off list with batch file in the
subject line.  I will send it with the extention changed from EXE to xxx.
Therefore, the extention will need to be changed back to EXE  in order to be
used.  The directions on how to change a file's name will also be included.

This article is devided  into three sections:  section I  is addresses mouse
users, section II is for screenreader users and section III tells how to change
a file name.

The reason why these batch files must be sent with their extention changed is
because usually an email client or virus protection program prevents
downloading of files with EXE  extentions.  These types of files are considered
a threat.

*I. Creating a Power Button Using a Mouse:

The word on the street is the next version of Windows 8.1 codename "Blue" could
be bringing back a Start button. Whether this will allow you to shutdown
Windows 8 and RT easier isn't yet known. Currently shutting down Windows 8 is
not intuitive and requires more steps that it should. If you think shutting it
down is a pain, you can set the Power button on your machine to shutdown
Windows 8/RT by pressing it.

Windows 8 Shutdown Options.

Set Physical Power Button to Shutdown Windows 8

1.  From the Desktop or modern-style Start screen, use the keyboard shortcut
Windows Key + X to bring up the so-called power user menu.

2.  Select Power Options.

3.  The Power Options screen opens on the desktop. Click the "Choose What the
Power Buttons Do" link on right side.

4.  Now change the action you want to happen when you press the power button.
Set it to Shut Down if you want to use the physical power button to shutdown
Windows 8.

5.  Now when you press the power button on your Windows 8 system, it will go
through a proper shutdown process. This is not a hard shutdown where you hold
the power button down for 10 seconds and completely cut power to the machine.

You can also do this with Windows RT systems, but since those are mobile and
you want access to them quickly, you can leave it set to Sleep - which is the
default on a  machine running Windows-8.

*II.  For Screenreader users:

Follow the steps below to create your shutdown shortcut for Windows 8.

1.  Move to the desktop with either (windows plus m)  or (WINDOWS KEY-D)

2.  Press control plus spacebar until hearing "not selected."  This means no
icon is selected on the desktop.

Use the ARROW KEYS to focus on any icon

3.  Press APPLICATION KEY or SHIFT-F10 to open the Windows Application Menu

4.  , Press the letter w to activate (New)

5.  Press the letter s for (shortcut.)

6.  The cursor is placed within an edit field.  Input the following (without
quotes) into the field: shutdown /s /t 0

7.  Navigate to the "Next" button and activate it with SPACEBAR

9.  In the next screen, name your shortcut as "shutdown" without quotes and
activate the "Finish" button

10.  The shortcut can now be used.

11. Here is how to create a hotkey for the shutdown shortcut.  This can be made
of a wide variety of key combinations.  However, one that is easiest is best to
use.

To create a hot key:

a. Move to the desktop by pressing (windows key plus d) or (windows plus m.)

b.  Move focus to the shutdown shortuct.

c.  Press (alt plus enter.)

d.  Tab to "shortcut key equals."  Currently there you would hear "shortcut key
equals none."

e.  Here is where one can place a key that will be coupled with the keys
(control and alt) to create a shortcut key combination.

I usually put the letter s for shutdown.  But if this key is already used, one
can put something else.  It is best to use keys that are easy to reach in
combination.

f.  Tab to the (okay) button and press spacebar.

g.  You can now use your Desktop shortcut or your hot key to shut down Windows.
 The hot key works from anywhere within Windows.

*III.  Changing a File's Name:

Special note:  If you have received one of the above mentioned batch files,
save it to your desktop to save steps of moving it there later.

1.  Highlight the name of a file or folder you wish to change.

2.  Press f2.  On some new systems, one needs to press the (FN) key along with
a function key (F Key) to carry out an action that use to only take pressing
the F Key by itself.  If it is difficult to stretch your fingers from the FN
key, F2, here is another way to do the same thing.

a.  Press (application key) or (shift plus f10.)

b.  Press the letter m.  You are now placed in the same edit field as when
using F2.

3.  If the extention is  all that needs changed, press the end key.  Then
backspace until reaching a4.  Type in the new extention and press enter.

In the case of changing (XXX) back to (EXE), type in "EXE" in lowercase with
quotes.

5.  Press enter and   you are finished.

6.  If you don't see or hear a file's extention, do the following to "show
extentions for known file types."

a.  When in a folder, press l alt plus the letter t.

b.  Press the letter o.

c.  Press con(control-tab.)

d.  Arrow once right to "view."

e.  Tab three times.

f.  Press the letter h.

g.  Arrow down to "hide extentions for known file types." If it says "on",
press spacebar to  toggle this off.

h.  Tab to "applie to all folders" and hit the spacebar.

i.  Tab to "okay" and hit spacebar.

j.  Tab to "okay" and hit the spacebar.

Now you can see/hear all file extentions.

Then you can carry out steps  1-5 in this section to change the extention of
the above mentioned batch files to (EXE) as explained above.

7.  Once the file is changed to "shutdown.exe" or "restart.exe",

The following keystroke combinations can be used:

a.  alt-control-s for "shutdown"

b.  alt-control-r for "restart"

Have a great day!!

Verse of the Week

      Psalm 19:14
      Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in

      your sight, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer. (ESV)

"Lord Jesus, your healing presence brings life and restores us to wholeness of
mind, body, and spirit. Speak your word to me and give me renewed hope,
strength, and courage to follow you in the midst of life's sorrows and joys."

Psalm 30:2-5,10-12

2 O LORD my God, I cried to you for help, and you have healed me.
3 O LORD, you have brought up my soul from Sheol, restored me to life from
among those gone down to the Pit.
4 Sing praises to the LORD, O you his saints, and give thanks to his holy name.
5 For his anger is but for a moment, and his favor is for a lifetime. Weeping
may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning.
10 Hear, O LORD, and be gracious to me! O LORD, be my helper!"
11 You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my
sackcloth and girded me with gladness,
12 that my soul may praise you and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give
thanks to you for ever.

Below is how to subscribe to Dan's Tips or a daily devotional as well as some
uplifting reading for the day.

To receive emails regarding Dan's daily Tips or the Daily HotSpot Devotional,
send an email to dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx with "subscribe Dan's Tips" or "subscribe
Hotspot Devotional" in the subjectline.  "Lord Jesus, your word is life and
truth. Instruct my heart that I may grow in the knowledge of your truth and
live according to your word".

Psalm 19:8-11