[accesscomp] Fw: Sewing Without Seeing, Dan's Tip for May 7 2013

  • From: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tektalk discussion" <tektalkdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 07:53:06 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: dan Thompson
To: dan Thompson
Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 7:50 AM
Subject: Sewing Without Seeing, Dan's Tip for May 7 2013

The title may not sound tech related.  But it does involve adapted tools
necessary for an individual who is blind or has low vision to perform sewing
tasks done by their sighted peers. Also  parent blind  as we age what was once
easy tasks to complete,reduced vision present new challenges.

Have an awesome day!!

low vision

Sewing Without Seeing

by Maurie Hill on April 30, 2013

I like the idea of sewing but even when I had perfect vision, after each and
every project, I would swear to myself that I would never sew again.  For those
of you who still enjoy the battle but struggle with threading those pesky
needles, here is a link with some great low vision sewing and crafting
techniques.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5656096_low-vision-sewing-techniques.html

When going to the link above using a screenreader, pressing  the letter h will
place you at the start of  the article entitled "Low Vision Sewing Techniques"

If that's not enough, my low vision sister has her own methods that she'd like
to share:

·         I use a wire needle threader and fine crochet hook to thread needles.

·         I use my i-loview magnifier to read the dials on my sewing machine.

·         I have a CCTV close by to examine my work and see how badly I just
sewed something.  Plus, it's helpful to read directions.

·         I like doll clothes patterns because they use thick black lines on
white paper.

·         I use my fingers to feel the edge of the fabric when going under
sewing machine needle.

·         I make up my own simpler methods if I can't do it the way the
directions say.

·         I often use a seam ripper to rip out my mistakes and then try it
again.

·         I stop when I'm frustrated and think about how I can accomplish my
task another way.

·         I don't do things I know I can't do.

·         I have painstakingly organized my craft items so that it's easier to
find exactly what I need.

·         I ask salespeople to help me find what I'm looking for.

·         I ask other people shopping or the salespeople to verify thread
color.

But most importantly, she advises, "I never sew unless I really feel like it."
That may be half the battle - for me, I'm not sure I'll ever feel like it

"God our Father, we are exceedingly frail and indisposed to every virtuous and
gallant undertaking.  Strengthen our weakness, we beseech you, that we may do
valiantly in this spiritual war; help us against our own negligence and
cowardice, and defend us from the treachery of our unfaithful hearts; for Jesus
Christ's sake."  (Prayer of Thomas a Kempis)

Psalm 69:8-10, 21-22, 31-34

8 I have become a stranger to my brethren, an alien to my mother's sons.
9 For zeal for your house has consumed me, and the insults of those who insult
you have fallen on me.
10 When I humbled my soul with fasting, it became my reproach.
21 They gave me poison for food, and for my thirst they gave me vinegar to
drink.
22 Let their own table before them become a snare; let their sacrificial feasts
be a trap.
31 This will please the LORD more than an ox or a bull with horns and hoofs.
32 Let the oppressed see it and be glad; you who seek God, let your hearts
revive.
33 For the LORD hears the needy, and does not despise his own that are in
bonds.
34 Let heaven and earth praise him, the seas and everything that moves therein.

to ssubscribe, email dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx with subscribe in the subject.

This email has been scanned by Microsoft Security Essentials

JPEG image

GIF image