[accesscomp] Fw: How to save a washed usb drive or wet cellphone Dan's tip for April 15 2013

  • From: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tektalk discussion" <tektalkdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 08:52:06 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: dan
To: dan
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2013 4:54 AM
Subject: How to save a washed usb drive or wet cellphone Dan's tip for April 15
2013

How to save a washed usb drive or wet cellphone

Articles below found at:

http://www.howtogeek.com/149206/i-washed-my-usb-drive-what-are-the-long-term-risks/

I accidentally left a USB flash drive in my clothes, which was then washed with
my laundry. This  was a colored load, hot water.

The drive survived just fine and was very clean. All data was still there, and
I see no physical  damage.

Am I risking any long-term data loss/drive damage due to this washing affair,
or is there no  additional risk now that I see the drive has not suffered any
initial damage?

While it would be easy to assume you're in the clear if the drive is still
readable, things aren't  that simple.  The Answer is below.

Get rid of the water up as soon as possible, prevent metal corrosion.

The life span has likely been diminished. There are metal parts that if got wet
may corrode over  time, unless you are absolutely sure that you got rid of all
the water that got into the USB drive.

Putting it in a bowl of uncooked rice overnight is often said to help. It is
worth it to take the  increased risk as the cost of a new USB drive might not
be worth it. In the comments  iglvzx  explains that this is dependent on where
you live.

Absorbation of the water is important, heat must be avoided!

Digital Inspiration - How to Dry your Wet Cell Phone

From Jeff Ashwood

First turn off the wet phone and then open the back lid to remove the battery
and, if present, the  SIM card. Use a towel or cotton tissues to dry the
external (visible) portions of the phone as much  as possible.

Next, the most important part, we need a way to absorb the water that may have
entered inside the  phone body. One popular option here s that you put the
phone in a bowl of uncooked rice and seal  the bowl with a plastic sheet. Rice
being a natural desiccant should absorb the moisture out of  your phone over
the next 2-3 days and if you are lucky enough, the phone should start ringing
again.

There are however some other alternatives to rice that could be way more
efficient.

Put the phone inside a zip-lock plastic bag with silica gel packets, leave for
2-3 days and the  packets will absorb all the moisture from the phone's
interiors. Silica gel is a better desiccant  than rice and can be easily
obtained from your local hardware / craft stores.

"Lord Jesus, inflame my heart with your love and remove everything that is
unloving, unkind, ungrateful, unholy and not in accord with your will."

Psalm 30:1-5,10-12

1 I will extol you, O LORD, for you have drawn me up, and have not let my foes
rejoice over me.
2 O LORD my God, I cried to you for help, and you have healed me.
3 O LORD, you have brought up my soul from Sheol, restored me to life from
among those gone down to the Pit.
4 Sing praises to the LORD, O you his saints, and give thanks to his holy name.
5 For his anger is but for a moment, and his favor is for a lifetime. Weeping
may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning.
10 Hear, O LORD, and be gracious to me! O LORD, be my helper!"
11 You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my
sackcloth and girded me with gladness,
12 that my soul may praise you and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give
thanks to you for ever.

to ssubscribe, email dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx with subscribe in the subject.