[accesscomp] Fw: How to Fix a Very Slow Windows 7 Downloads Folder, Dan's Tip for September 12 2013

  • From: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tektalk discussion" <tektalkdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "access comp" <accesscomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 11:54:40 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: dan Thompson
To: dan Thompson
Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2013 10:32 AM
Subject: How to Fix a Very Slow Windows 7 Downloads Folder, Dan's Tip for
September 12 2013

How to Fix a Very Slow Windows 7 Downloads Folder

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-fix-very-slow-windows-7-downloads-folder.htm

Updated 1. December 2012 - 19:05 by v.laurie

Do you ever find that the user Downloads folder in Windows 7 seems to respond
very slowly? Here is a quick fix for the problem.

You may think that one folder is the same as any other folder but Windows
doesn't see it that way. Windows classifies folders according to the types of
files that it thinks will be stored there. According to this post, Windows 7
will often decide that the user Downloads folder is for pictures. It then tries
to create thumbnails for all the files in the Downloads folder. If some of the
files are really not pictures, this causes the Downloads folder to be slow to
open. To fix this this problem, tell Windows that Downloads is for general
purposes. Here is the procedure:

*I.  For Screenreader Users:

1.  Open the start menu by pressing the "windows key" also called "start
button."

2.    Tab once.  The cursor is put on the user's account name

3.  Press enter.

4.    In the Explorer window that opens, press the letter d until highlighting
the Downloads folder.

5.  Press the application key (third from the spacebar's right edge".
Alternatively one can press shift plus f10.

6.  Press the letter r for "Properties."

7.  Press control plus tab until reaching the "Customize" tab sheet.

8.  Tab once to  ""Optimize this folder for:"

9.  Press the letter g for general.

10.  Press shift plus tab until reaching "apply" followed by tapping the
spacebar.

11.  Press shift plus tab until reaching "okay" and hit the spacebar.  You are
now finished.

*II.  For Mouse Users:

1.  Open the Start menu

2.    Clickthe user account name in the upper part of the right pane

3.    In the Explorer window that opens, right-click the Downloads folder

4.  Select "Properties"

5.  Select the "Customize" tab sheet

6.  Under "Optimize this folder for:" open the drop-down menu,

Choose "General items"

7.  Click "OK"

8.  Close the Properties dialog

Note that this procedure can be applied to other folders as well. If you have a
folder with some pictures mixed in with other types of file, Windows may
sometimes decide to treat the folder as a pictures folder and cause it to open
slowly. Then you should customize the folder for general items.

Of course, Windows being Windows, there may be a little glitch now and then.
Sometimes, Windows will forget which way you designated a folder. So you have
to do it over again.

This week's verse and thought

Habakkuk 3:18-19
yet I will rejoice in the LORD; I will take joy in the God of my salvation.
GOD, the Lord, is my strength; he makes my feet like the deer's; he makes me
tread on my high places. (ESV)

Thought: Walk on the Heights

Many years ago, as the Lord launched me onto the mission field, he gave me this
promise from the book of Habakkuk: "You will rejoice with joy in the Lord, and
I will make your feet like the feet of the deer, causing you to walk on the
heights!" How exciting, I thought. Until I realized what preceded this verse.

Habakkuk was able to rejoice in the Lord and take joy in the God of his
salvation, even in the face of tremendously difficult circumstances. His
prayers had remained unanswered; there was no fruit, no crops, no food. His
finances were completely dried up and he was all alone. Yet, Habakkuk stood
firm and said, "I will rejoice in the Lord." Not only that, he was able to walk
on the heights like a sure-footed deer because of the strength of the Lord his
God.

It was not long before I fully understood why the Lord had given me this
particular promise.

From Mary Fairchild

http://christianity.about.com/od/verseoftheday/qt/verseday98.htm

To receive emails regarding Dan's daily Tips or the Daily HotSpot Devotional,
send an email to dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx with "subscribe Dan's Tips" or "subscribe
Hotspot Devotional" in the subjectline.

This email has been scanned by MSA