[accesscomp] Fw: 365 tomorrows : A New Flash of Science Fiction Every Day, Dan's tip for april 26 2013

  • From: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tektalk discussion" <tektalkdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "access comp" <accesscomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "otr discussion" <otr-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 22:20:41 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: dan
To: dan
Sent: Friday, April 26, 2013 9:00 PM
Subject: 365 tomorrows : A New Flash of Science Fiction Every Day, Dan's tip
for april 26 2013

Hi all,

I have been working on a project for the next many Fridays.  I am going to be
posting an online free audio or ebook site each week.  I will also have a brief
tour of the site using a variety of screenreaders and mouse directions.  Here
is the first.

365 tomorrows : A New Flash of Science Fiction Every Day

http://365tomorrows.com/

*About 365  365 tomorrows : "from the site home page"

365 tomorrows is a collaborative project designed to present readers with a new
piece of short  science and speculative 'flash' fiction each day. Launched
August 1st 2005 with the lofty goal of  providing a new story every day for a
year, we've been on the wire ever since.

In addition to reading the stories, you can engage in discussion about them and
other future  looking topics in the  forums.

What exactly is Flash Fiction? Glad you asked. Here's a brief explanation in
the form of an exerpt  from  'What is Flash Fiction?' , by  Kathy Kachelries

"The most concise and widely-cited example of flash fiction is the story Ernest
Hemingway penned,  allegedly to settle a bar bet: "For sale: baby shoes. Never
worn." Despite the limitations of its  length, this story, framed as an
advertisement, satisfies all of the requirements of a short story:
protagonist, conflict, and resolution. A reader imagines the person who wrote
the ad: a parent torn  apart by the loss of a stillborn or miscarried child.
The reader senses the conflict: an  incomprehensible feeling of loss, made all
the more poignant by the fact that it is not directly  addressed. Even the
resolution is contained within that six-word masterpiece. By framing it as an
advertisement, Hemingway allows us to see the protagonist's coping mechanism:
an attempt to  distance him or herself from the loss by selling the only
physical evidence that such a loss exists.

*Short Tour of the Site:

I am have used JAWS, Window-eyes, System Access and NVDA with Windows-xp and
Windows-7 to explore this site.

When first coming into the home page,one is greated with the line "365
tomorrows : A New Flash of Science Fiction Every Day"

Arrow once to "stories" and press enter to hear the day's story.

Reaching the story's beginning, press the letter h once.  On Friday April 26
"Behavior Modification" is the offering.

Arrow to read the story or press the "read to end" key of your favorite
screenreder.

*Archives:  The site also offers an archive on the home page.

When on the home page, arrow to the second link of "archive" and press enter.

Pressing the letter h now will move between story headings.  Once reaching one
of interest, use your favorite screenreader's read to end or arrow down through
the story.

One can also copy/paste the text into a blank document in their favorite
wordprocessor and save it.

I will use the first story on the archive page on April 26 2013 as an example
of how to select, copy, paste and then save the document.

1.  Once reaching the "archive" page, Press control plus the home key to insure
you are at the top of this page.

2.   Press the letter h until reaching the first story that is called "Behavior
Modification" followed by tapping enter.

3.  Press the letter h once to reach the story's title. In this case it is
"Behavior Modification."

4.   Press the home key once.

5.  Hold down the left shift ke  and arrow down until you hear "entering
table."  Then still holding down the shift key, arrow up once.  Now the short
story is all selected.

6.  Let go of the shift key and arrow key.  Then press control plus the letter
c.

7.  Open your favorite wordprocessor.

8. Press control plus the letter v.

9. Press control plus the letter s.

10.  Navigate to where you would like to save the story.

11.  Press alt plus the letter n.  Check if the filename is what you wish.

12.  Press alt plus the letter s when the filename is acceptible to you.  The
file is now saved.

Now you can explore the site for more cool stories.

Clouds in Our Lives

APPRECIATING GOD'S BLESSINGS

"Friends, when life gets really difficult, don't jump to the conclusion that
God isn't on the job.  Instead, be glad that you are in the very thick of what
Christ experienced.  This is a spiritual refining process, with glory just
around the corner."                                                           1
Peter 4:12-13

I saw at least one sunrise last week in a clear blue sky in Florida, after my
body acclimated to the Eastern time zone.  I always enjoy seeing the sun rise,
and Florida's blue skies are lovely.

This morning when I arose in Jacksonville, however, I witnessed a bright red
sky in the east.  It was so captivating that I stood by the window to watch it
change colors for fifteen minutes until the sun peeked above the horizon.  Yes,
I was inside the window, not outside as I was in Florida, but I think it was
worth it to see such a glorious display. As I stood watching the sky change
from one water color scene to another, I noted that it takes clouds reflecting
the light to make God's artwork so spectacular.

I am reminded of the way we sometimes take God's blessings in our lives for
granted.  Sometimes it is only after we experience clouds in our lives that we
fully appreciate the blessings.

Prayer: God, thank you for your constant blessings. Please help us recognize
and appreciate them all the time, not just when there are clouds in our lives.
Amen.

Celeste Hill

to ssubscribe, email dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx with subscribe in the subject.