[accesscomp] FW: low cost smart phones, Dan's Tip for Friday March 28 2014

  • From: "Robert Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tektalk discussion" <tektalkdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 10:15:15 -0700

Robert Acosta, President

Helping Hands for the Blind

(818) 998-0044

www.helpinghands4theblind.org

From: dan Thompson [mailto:dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2014 9:36 AM
To: dan Thompson
Subject: low cost smart phones, Dan's Tip for Friday March 28 2014

Today's tip has three  parts.  The start of each is marked with an asterisk.

First is regarding an online petition to the Association of Home Appliance
Manufacturers, asking them to incorporate voice technology, audio cues,
and/or tactile buttons into flat panel appliances

Second are some low cost smart phone alternatives from Clark Howard.  There
is no mention of their accessability.

Third is an article by Joe Orozco rregarding cell phone offerings from Ting.

Below starts the first part of today's tip.

*There's an online petition circulating to the Association of Home Appliance
Manufacturers, asking them to incorporate voice technology, audio cues,
and/or tactile buttons into flat panel appliances to make them accessible to
the blind and those with low vision:

<http://www.change.org/petitions/association-of-home-appliance-manufacturers
-incorporate-voice-technology-audio-cues-and-or-tactile-buttons-into-your-fl
at-panel-appliances-to-make-them-accessible-to-the-blind-and-those-with-low-
vision>
http://www.change.org/petitions/association-of-home-appliance-manufacturers-
incorporate-voice-technology-audio-cues-and-or-tactile-buttons-into-your-fla
t-panel-appliances-to-make-them-accessible-to-the-blind-and-those-with-low-v
ision

*Republic Wireless offers cheaper smartphone

www.clarkhoward.com

Article source link:

<http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/clark-howard/technology/republic-wireless-o
ffers-cheaper-smartphone/nfFRC/>
http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/clark-howard/technology/republic-wireless-of
fers-cheaper-smartphone/nfFRC/

Looking for new ways to save money on wireless service?

There's a service I've talked about before called
<https://republicwireless.com/> Republic Wireless that I am now ready to
tell you is a real deal.
Visit the site here:

https://republicwireless.com/

Republic Wireless offers truly unlimited talk, text, and web for $25 a month
-- no contract.

The way Republic Wireless works is you have to buy a phone that has special
software embedded in it to work on their system. At first they only had the
Moto X for $299. Now they're rolling out the Moto G for $149. The Moto G is
still a very good phone, though not quite as good as the X.

I tested the first generation a year and half ago and it was lousy; it was
not ready for primetime. But the current version is fantastic.
<http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/clark-howard/technology/clarks-review-repub
lic-wireless/nb8zx/> Read my review here.
http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/clark-howard/technology/clarks-review-republ
ic-wireless/nb8zx/

If you want a more conventional player, AT&T has cut rates for 2 people
together on a plan. Their Mobile Share Value Plan offers unlimited talk and
text, plus 2 GB of data. The first person is $65, while the next person is
$25. Because this is a no-contract plan, you either have to buy a phone or
be out of contract with an already compatible phone.

In response, T Mobile now gives 1 GB of data with unlimited calling and
texting. The pricing for the first person is $50, the second person pays $30
and every person after that pays $10. So family of 5 pays $100 annually or
about $22$ per person per month.

The rates are getting better or better -- except for Sprint. Sprint has a
prepaid $45 a month plan that offers unlimited talk and text with no data at
all.

By contrast, you can get
<http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/clark-howard/technology/freedom-pop-cuts-it
s-rates/ndKB6/> unlimited talk and text for $4 a month from FreedomPop. I'm
testing a Samsung Galaxy S2 on FreedomPop, but I'm not yet ready to
recommend it.
http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/clark-howard/technology/freedom-pop-cuts-its
-rates/ndKB6/

*The One Ting that Will Lower Your Cell Phone Bill

Submitted by Joe Orozco on March 17, 2014 - 12:30pm

The Ting HomePage link is here:

https://ting.com/r/zraa7d2aj75

No, that's not a typo. You see, for years I paid more money to major
wireless providers because I thought they were more reliable than the new
generation of "affordable" carriers. I suffered from that first world
mentality that if it costs less, it must be crappy, but when I switched to
Ting, saw my bills plummet and noticed zero change in the high quality of
service, I wanted to kick myself for not switching sooner.

Background

So, what is Ting? <https://zraa7d2aj75.ting.com/>  It's a Canadian
subsidiary of Tucows and works off the Sprint backbone. They've been in
business since February 2012, and if you do a search on Google you'll find
their customer reviews are overwhelmingly positive. They should be, or I
wouldn't waste your time with a Ting review.

Now, for a little context, I previously had two lines with Sprint on a
two-year contract. I was paying $160 a month. Over the course of two years I
paid $3,840. Actually, I paid $400 more than that to get an iPhone and an
Android phone at a subsidized rate. Before Sprint, I had the same two lines
with Verizon at roughly the same amount, also on a two-year contract.

With Ting, <https://zraa7d2aj75.ting.com/>  my first bill was $0.00 thanks
to promotional credits. The second bill was for $33.48, and as I approach
the end of the third billing cycle we are on track to hit the same amount.
Now, my rates will vary according to my usage. More on that in a moment, but
if we were to use $33.48 as an average, at the end of two years I will only
pay $803.52.

For the mathematically challenged, and I'm right there with you sister, the
difference between Ting <https://zraa7d2aj75.ting.com/>  and a major
wireless provider, is $3,036.48.

Caveats

Now, before you click on my referral links, <https://zraa7d2aj75.ting.com/>
found here:

https://ting.com/r/zraa7d2aj75

and you should because it gives us both a twenty-five dollar credit, there
are two things you need to keep in mind, and they are both part of sound
financial management.

First, if you are not bringing a device over from Sprint, you'll need to
make a new purchase. I paid full price for an HTC One, but Ting
<https://zraa7d2aj75.ting.com/>  points you to plenty of sales for used and
refurbished devices. Trust me, the amount of money you'll pay up front for
the device is nothing compared to the gouging you take from the major
carriers. The idea that you can pay as little as $99 for a new handset is a
ploy to cover up inflated service costs and recovery fees.

Second, for the moment you can roam on the Verizon network for voice calls
and text messages free of charge. You cannot roam outside the Sprint network
for data usage. If you find yourself in one of the few areas not covered by
Sprint, you learn to better utilize wireless networks. Think of it another
way, is it worth paying over $100 a month to check an e-mail or stream a
video on the random chance you might be without Sprint coverage?

Activation and General Interface

The activation process was seamless and fully accessible for blind
customers. Everything is handled in your online dashboard. The HTC One I
ordered came all configured for activation. The iPhone I brought over from
Sprint only required an extra step to be recognized by their system. It took
less than ten minutes to get registered and have two numbers ported.

The Ting <https://zraa7d2aj75.ting.com/>  website is clean and incredibly
easy to follow. The blind-friendly dashboard lets you set data caps and make
other adjustments according to the individual device. Usage and billing are
laid out in a straightforward manner.

I can confirm that the Ting <https://zraa7d2aj75.ting.com/>  iOS app is
fully accessible with VoiceOver. There is an Android app but have not tested
accessibility on that platform.

Personal Reasons Why Ting Kicks Bootie

I strongly recommend Ting <https://zraa7d2aj75.ting.com/>  because:

.         Between someone else's referral link and a bonus for my phone
purchase, my first bill was $0.00.

.         I am not tied to a contract.

.         When you call the company there are no automated systems, just a
friendly human.

.         Did I already mention the user interface is phenomenal?

.         There is no data throttling if I go past someone else's idea of
the right allotment.

.         Speaking of data, you don't pay extra for tethering your device.

.         Maybe a dumb reason, but I love their easygoing blog posts that
make me feel like a part of the fold.

.         Aren't you anxious to

To subscribe to Dan's Tips or Daily Hotspot with God Devotional, send a
blank email with "subscribee Dan's Tips" or "Subscribe Dan's Daily Devotiin"
in the  subject line.

Proverbs chapter 3, verses 3-4

Let love and faithfulness never leave you;  bind them around  your neck and
write them on the tablet of your heart.  You will win favor, and a good name
with God and man.

Proverbs chapter 3 verses 5-6

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own
understanding;  in all ways acnoldge him, and he will make your path
straight.