[accesscomp] FW: creating and deleting events in the IPhone Calendar as well as locking orientation

  • From: "Robert Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tektalk discussion" <tektalkdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 20:46:05 -0700

Robert Acosta, President

Helping Hands for the Blind

(818) 998-0044

www.helpinghands4theblind.org

From: dan Thompson [mailto:dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, March 21, 2014 8:31 PM
To: dan Thompson
Subject: creating and deleting events in the IPhone Calendar as well as
locking orientation

Good evening all,

I am using an IPhone 4S and IPhone 5 for these examples.

The beginning of each set of directions are marked with an asterisk.

The two sets of directions are "locking orientation" and "creating and
deleting an event on the IPhone Calendar."

                *I..  Locking Orientation:

1.  Place the IPhone in Portrait mode/position.  (The home button will be
closest to you.)

2.  Touch the status bar found at the top of the Iphone Screen.

3.  Lift your hand away and flick up with three fingers and you should see
or hear, "control center."

4.  Flick with one finger to the right until reaching "lock orientation,
off."

5.  Tap this button twice and "lock orientation" is on.

6.     There are two ways to dismiss the control panel.

a.  Do a Z scrub.

This is making a Z ontop of itself.

  I personally have found making a scrubbing motion with two fingers does
the same thing.  It is like rubbing something off the screen in a very small
area.    I say this because using the Z scrub did not always work.
Scrubbing with two fingers quickly always works.

Many IOS users do the scrub motion to reduce  stress on the home button
since it is used so much.

b.  Method two is done by pressing the home button.  This is not  used as
much as the scrub method as explained above.

*II.   Manually Creating an deleting Event in the Iphone Calendar

1.  There are two ways to access the calendar.

a.  Swipe left to right with one finger until reaching "calendar".  Then tap
twice on the "calendar" icon."

b.  Hold the home button down until hearing a short ding.  Then say, "open
calendar."  Shortly Siri will say "calendar" followed by the month.

2.  Across the top are days of the week

Down the left side are shown a given day's dates as in "Sunday the first of
march, Sunday the ninth of March" etc.  If you do not see this arrangement,
tap the backbutton  twice found in the screen's top left corner.  Then
explore the top and left side of the screen again.

3.  In the top right corner is an "add" button.

4.  In this example, I am going to create an event for 5:PM on the current
day of March 21 2014.

a.  Swipe left to right until reaching column 5 "Friday.

b.  Slide one finger down this fifth column to the correct Friday, in this
case 21st.

c.  Double tap on the "Friday the 21st of March."  If double tapping is
difficult, keep one finger on the day of your choice and touch once anywhere
else on the screen with another finger.  This is called "split tapping."

This works anytime you feel double tapping is not working.

d.   A listing of time is now shown.  Touch the middle of the screen for
example.  Then swipe left or right to hear the different times.  The list
goes from 1:00 AM all the way back around to 12:00 midnight/AM.

e.  In the screen's top right  corner is an "add button." Double tap on the
add button and it becomes a "done button."

f.  Several edit fields become available.  The default one opened is for
entering an event title.

The bottom half of the screen is now a QUERTY  keyboard.  However, you can
enter an event three different ways.

1.  Double tap with two fingers and a short ding will be heard.   Dictate an
event  such as "meet Dan for dinner at Outback at five PM."

Then double tap again with two fingers and the edit field is "auto filled"
with  your dictated text."

2.  Slide to the right until reaching a dictate button and tap it twice.
When finished  dictating, tap the same button twice again.

3.  You can manually type in text in the edit field.

I personally like the two finger tap anywhere on the screen to start,
dictate, and then double tap to stop dictation.

f.  After entering your event, swipe to the right until reaching "location."
And enter one if you wish.  Personally I put the location in my first event
title edit field to save steps of entering information.

g.  Swipe right again and you will reach "all day." If this is the disired
choice, tap twice here.  If not swipe right again to "starts.  I usually
choose the starts button.  So in this example, I am going to tape twice on
"starts."

From this point on, these are all "picker items."  This means you must pick
something from a list, in this case a start time.

h.    Flick right to the number "four."  Then flick up once to "five."

i.  Flick once right to "00."  This is the minutes column.

Leave this as is,  since "five" was chosen for the hour and the 00 makes it
"5:00."

j.  Flick right to "PM."

If in your situation AM is needed for a specific appointment, flick up to
AM.  Remember these are picker items in this area.

k.  Flick right to "end" and flick up to a desired time.  "6:00" should be
picked in this example.

l.  Tap twice on  the "done button" found in the screen's top right corner.

m.       You can now hold the home button down and ask Siri, "what
appointments do I have for today."  Siri will say, "You have an appointment
at 5:00 PM.  Want to hear the details." A short ding will be heard.  Say
yes.  Then Siri will say whatever you dictated or typed into the event edit
field.  provide that

5.  Deleting an event from your calendar:

a.  Flick through the calendar until reaching an event to delete.

b.  touch edit found in the screen's top right corner and tap twice.

c.  Swipe right until reaching  "delete event."  Tap this button twice.  You
will hear, a short upward ding followed by "delete event"  in a questioning
tone.

d.  Tap twice and the event is deleted.

To receive emails regarding Dan's daily Tips or the Daily HotSpot
Devotional, send an email to dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx with "subscribe Dan's
Tips" or "subscribe Hotspot Devotional" in the subjectline.

This email has been scanned by Avast

Psalm 1

1 Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands
in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers;
2 but his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day
and night.
3 He is like a tree planted by streams of water, that yields its fruit in
its season, and its leaf does not wither.  In all that he does, he prospers.

4 The wicked are not so, but are like chaff which the wind drives away.
5 Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the
congregation of the righteous;
6 for the LORD knows the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked
will perish.

A Daily Quote for Lent: Creator of both rich and poor, by Augustine of
Hippo, 430-543 A.D.

"God made both the rich and the poor. So the rich and the poor are born
alike. You meet one another as you walk on the way together. Do not oppress
or defraud anyone. One may be needy and another may have plenty. But the
Lord is the maker of them both. Through the person who has, He helps the one
who needs - and through the person who does not have, He tests the one who
has."