[accesscomp] FW: Resources for Home Repair and Woodworking for blind or visually impaired (do it yourselfers), Dan's tip for August 1st 2014

  • From: "Robert Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tektalk discussion" <tektalkdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2014 12:08:01 -0700

Robert Acosta, President

Helping Hands for the Blind

(818) 998-0044

www.helpinghands4theblind.org

From: dan Thompson [mailto:dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, August 01, 2014 9:48 AM
To: dan Thompson
Subject: Resources for Home Repair and Woodworking for blind or visually
impaired (do it yourselfers), Dan's tip for August 1st 2014

Here are some resources I've accessed to make repairs around my home or get
advice.  Unfortunately, I have found that if a blind or visually impaired
individual wishing to have outside construction professionals come in and do
repairs, it is very imporatant to read up on how a specific job should be
done.  I am not suggesting that construction professionals are all
dishonest, but I have personally esperienced a few attempt quick fixes
instead of doing quality/long lasting repairs.  If I didn't demonstrate some
knowledge/understanding of how a job should end up, the results have been a
bit disappointing. So here are some resources which may help others needing
those summer home repairs.

I have inserted updated links to suggested web sites provided in this
article.

Resources for Home Repair and Woodworking

By
<http://www.afb.org/section.aspx?SectionID=133&TopicID=517&DocumentID=6016&r
ewrite=0> Gil Johnson

The following books on home repair are available through the
<http://www.loc.gov/nls> National Library Service for the Blind and
Physically Handicapped at the Library of Congress, a program that provides
books on cartriges, and for online downloading from BARD and still provides
some cassettes for free for eligible persons.

 <http://www.loc.gov/nls/> http://www.loc.gov/nls/

To make it easy to find and request the books, you'll find author, title,
and call number below. When on the National Library Service's BARD site,
author or title can be entered in a search field for quick location.  Then
the book can be downloaded to a portable reader that must be registered with
NLS in your name.

.         Lipinski, Edward R. A Season-By-Season Guide for Maintaining Your
Home. RC 54745

.         Jones, Peter. Indoor Home Repairs Made Easy. RC14420

.         Kennedy, Terry. Fix It Before It Breaks Seasonal Checklist Guide
to Home Maintenance. RC 59610

.         Vandervort, Donald W. The Home Problem Solver: The Essential
Homeowner's Repair and Maintenance Manual. RC 52518

.         Jackson, Albert. Popular Mechanics Complete Home How-To. RC 59731

Reader's Digest has published a number of general home repair reference
guides, as well as publications on specific topics. One that might prove
helpful is The Reader's Digest Complete Do-It-Yourself Manual, published by
the Reader's Digest Association and recorded by
<http://www.learningally.org/> Learning Ally (formerly Recording for the
Blind & Dyslexic).

https://www.learningally.org/

Community-based, Home Improvement, and Woodworking Groups

.         Many mid-sized and large communities have home improvement and
woodworkers' clubs comprised of individuals who have an interest in home
repairs and woodworking projects. Some are focused on sharing information
and techniques, while others are more social. These can be informative and
enjoyable, depending on the willingness of members to describe their
projects and techniques. They can be located by consulting Directory
Assistance or inquiring at building supply outlets.

.         Tip: Most of the members of these organizations have little
experience with persons who have limited or no vision. Individuals in these
groups can, however, often be very helpful once they understand what a
person with a visual impairment may need and what skills you possess. Being
clear about what you may be able to see (if you have some residual vision)
and the techniques you have already figured out for yourself is critical to
getting the help and coaching you may need.

Sources of Training

.         Some state and private rehabilitation centers, state schools for
the blind, and
<http://www.afb.org/section.aspx?FolderID=8&SectionID=115&TopicID=538&Docume
ntID=6194&rewrite=0> Veterans Administration Rehabilitation Centers offer
training for blind and visually impaired persons using a woodworking shop as
the teaching laboratory.

.         Link to Veteran's Administration is below where offices in your
area can be found.

*        <http://www.visionaware.org/info/everyday-living/1>
http://www.visionaware.org/info/everyday-living/1
*

.         For resources in your immediate area, you can check the
<http://www.visionaware.org/directory.aspx> AFB Directory of Services.

*        <http://www.visionaware.org/directory.aspx>
http://www.visionaware.org/directory.aspx
*

.         In many parts of the country, you can hear a nationally syndicated
call-in radio program called  <http://www.onthehouse.com/sections/radioshow>
On the House.

*       http://www.onthehouse.com/sections/radioshow/

.

.         Hosts James and Morris Carey and their guest experts have
extensive experience with home repair and construction projects. Callers
inquire about a wide range of topics and the Carey brothers answer questions
respectfully and with humor. The website contains a wide range of
<http://www.onthehouse.com/tips> helpful tips for accomplishing simple to
complex home repair and construction tasks.

.         Tip: Although this program is not specifically directed to persons
with vision loss, the Carey Brothers try to understand the experience and
skills callers have. Being clear with them about what you may be able to see
(if you have vision) or the skills you have acquired if you have no vision
will enable them to respond thoughtfully to your inquiry.

.         The American Council of the Blind hosts a web-based radio show
called  <http://www.blindhandyman.com/> The Blind Handyman.

*        <http://www.blindhandyman.com/> http://www.blindhandyman.com/

email:

 <mailto:postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

.          The hosts, who are blind, discuss a variety of home repair topics
and sponsor the  <http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/blindhandyman> Blind
Handyman Listserv.

(Note from Dan, when visiting the Blind Handyman listserv page, I got the
prompt of "This yahoo page does not exist.")

There is also a link to "Woodworking for the Blind" that does work.

 <http://ww4b.org/> http://ww4b.org/

.          <http://ww4b.org/> Woodworking for the Blind members have access
to over 500 hours of recordings of fine woodworking magazines on a
members-only website. Individual membership is open to all persons who are
blind, visually impaired or physically handicapped. There is also an active
listserv in which members exchange questions and suggestions regarding
woodworking projects, techniques, and tools.

"We shall steer safely through every storm, so long as our heart is right,
our intention fervent, our courage steadfast, and our trust fixed on God."

- St. Francis De Sales

To subscribe to Dan's tips or dedaily devotions, send an email to
dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx with either "subscribe dan's tips" or "subscribe daily
devotion" in the subject.

This message has been scanned by Norton 360