[accesscomp] FW: Friday Finds, Dan's tip for Friday April 24 2015

  • From: "Robert Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tek-talk-discussion@xxxxxxxxx>, "access comp" <accesscomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 14:11:23 -0700

Robert Acosta, President

Helping Hands for the Blind

(818) 998-0044

www.helpinghands4theblind.org

From: dan Thompson [mailto:dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2015 7:31 AM
To: dan Thompson
Subject: Friday Finds, Dan's tip for Friday April 24 2015

Fact of the Day:

95% of people text things they could never say in person.

The Titanic was the first ship to use the SOS signal.

Gustav Mahler composed his first piece of music at the age of four, Sergei
Prokofiev composed his first

piece of music aged five, and Wolfgang Mozart was just eight when he
composed his first symphony.

*Contents:

1) How long do modern consumer SSDs actually last? Longer than you'd expect!

2) 10 Easy Ways to Save Fuel

3) Grow Your Own Food One Square Foot at a Time

4) How to Win Over Temptation.txt

5) My Perfect Kitchen Trash Can and Perfectly Cheap Bags Too!.txt

6) Wedding Trivia

7) windows sounds orchestrated

*1) How long do modern consumer SSDs actually last? Longer than you'd
expect!

While this article was actually published in 2014, I thought it still has
revelance. Recently there was some discussion regarding how long
SD cards or drives last. This articles answers losts of questions regarding
SD cards and Hard drives Longevity.

most of these questions.

How long do modern consumer SSDs actually last? Longer than you'd expect!

By Joel Hruska

June 2014

Almost a year ago, The Tech Report set out to answer a question: Exactly how
much hammering could modern SSDs take? The site put together a comprehensive
stress test that would hammer the drives with a variety of data, commit
hundreds of terabytes of writes, and then continue using the drives until
they died. This week, the experiment crossed the petabyte line - or at least
three of the original drives (down from six) did.

Tech Report's test set of six drives was never large enough to draw
conclusions about which SSDs were more reliable; the goal was to analyze how
the drives would fail, how many terabytes of writes they could sustain, and
what the failure modes would look like. Would they drop out gracefully with
plenty of warning time, or would they calamitously collapse?

You should take a look at
<http://techreport.com/review/26523/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-casualties-
on-the-way-to-a-petabyte> the details of the study,

" The SSD Endurance Experiment: Casualties on the way to a petabyte - The
Tech Report" found here:

<http://techreport.com/review/26523/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-casualties-
on-the-way-to-a-petabyte>
http://techreport.com/review/26523/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-casualties-o
n-the-way-to-a-petabyte

But in short the results are quite encouraging. Of the six SSDs they started
off with (all consumer models), three have died. All three lasted hundreds
of TB beyond their rated maximum, including the TLC NAND drive. The Samsung
840 began showing errors and replacing blocks with spare storage held in
reserve long before any of the MLC drives, but that's precisely why Samsung
designed these drives to contain a larger pool of reserve storage in the
first place.

Even better, all of the drives that died gave ample warning before actually
kicking the bucket, alerting the user with pop-up message on the desktop.

Even the TLC Samsung 840 made it through 9000TB of writes. Image courtesy of
Tech Report.

If you've been computing long enough, chances are you've had an HDD or SSD
die randomly at reboot or suddenly vanish from BIOS detection, never to
return. What's interesting about TR's nearly-12-month trial is that modern
SSDs are apparently rated extremely conservatively, with much more write
capacity than is typically thought. To throw my own data point into the mix,
my three-year-old Vertex 3 240GB from OCZ has begun to throw a bad block
every 3-4 months. It's currently up to 11. [Read:
<http://www.extremetech.com/computing/170748-how-long-do-hard-drives-actuall
y-live-for> How long do hard drives actually live for?]

<http://www.extremetech.com/computing/170748-how-long-do-hard-drives-actuall
y-live-for>
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/170748-how-long-do-hard-drives-actually
-live-for

Obviously there will still be some users who replace or retire a drive to
secondary status as soon as any bad blocks appear, but as the TR drives
soldier on past the 1-petabyte mark, the implication is that modern NAND is
more than capable of going the distance. Barring
<http://www.extremetech.com/computing/169124-the-mysteriously-disappearing-d
rive-are-power-outages-killing-your-ssds> failure from unexpected power
losses,

Red more in this article "The mysteriously disappearing drive: Are power
outages killing your SSDs?"

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/169124-the-mysteriously-disappearing-dr
ive-are-power-outages-killing-your-ssds

modern drives appear to have firmware warnings that pop up to notify an
end-user long before any data has been lost. This doesn't disprove the data
we've covered previously about how most SSDs don't handle sudden power loss
particularly well, but it's a further set of information
<http://www.extremetech.com/computing/173887-ssd-stress-testing-finds-intel-
might-be-the-only-reliable-drive-manufacturer> exploring the question of
just how reliable SSDs are long-term.

Read more on this here:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/173887-ssd-stress-testing-finds-intel-m
ight-be-the-only-reliable-drive-manufacturer

*2) 10 Easy Ways to Save Fuel

By Mary Hunt on 04/22/15

To save a gallon of gas, you need to cut about 22 miles of driving from your

week. Here are 10 easy ways to do that:

Hop on the bus, Gus. Even if you think this is not an option for you, check
out

PublicTransportation.org. You may be surprised by all the options that you
have

never considered. Or carpool. Leaving the car at home and sharing your
commute

occasionally can help you reach your gallon-goal quickly. Sharing the
ride-and

expense-with another person regularly can cut your gas costs in half. Check
out

your carpooling opportunities at eRideShare.com.

Take it easy. The faster you drive, the more gas you use. If your average

commute includes 20 miles of highway time and you drive it at 60 mph instead
of

70 mph, it will take you only three minutes longer to get there, and you'll
save

approximately 1.3 gallons of gas in a five-day work week.

Trip-chain. Need to pick up a prescription, mail a package and go to the
bank?

Instead of spreading these tasks out over a few trips, chain them together
by doing

all of them at one time. Park in a central spot and walk from place to
place.

Shop online. Save the trips to the store, and consider other online services

minimize errands such as banking, buying stamps and paying bills.

Drive a sipper, not a guzzler. If you own vehicles of differing size, take
the

smaller, more fuel-efficient one on any long trips that you can.

Take a hike (or ride a bike). Instead of driving everywhere, lace up your
sneakers

and get some exercise while you save gas. A bicycle can help you rack up
car-free

miles even faster.

Work in your sweats. If you have a job for which working from home is
possible,

ask the boss if you and your coworkers can telecommute one day a week to
save

gas. If you are the boss, consider making it a company-wide initiative.

Drive as if gas is being rationed. The time may come that you will be
allowed

only a set number of gallons per week no matter the cost, no matter your
needs.

Drive now as if you are on a 10-gallons-per-week limit. The practice will do
you

good.

Get cool with school. Instead of picking up your kids from school every day,
ask

a neighbor with kids in the same school to help. You can each take turns
picking

up the tykes. Ditto for church and sports activities.

Lighten up. The heavier the load your car has to carry, the more gas it
guzzles.

Don't use your trunk for long-term storage.

Just this past weekend I saw gas for $1.99 a gallon-Westminster, Colo. Wow.

That's nearly a dollar cheaper than when we left California just a few weeks
ago.

--- Everyday Cheapskate week of April 2020-24 2015

*3) Grow Your Own Food One Square Foot at a

Time

By Mary Hunt on 04/17/15

For years I've tried to grow a decent vegetable garden. It was the high cost
of

fresh basil-$3.50 for a few measly, wilted fresh basil leaves, ditto for a
pound of

somewhat reddish tomatoes-that prompted me to try. In no time I added
zucchini

and cucumbers to my repertoire-even corn one year.

Photo Credit: The Self Sufficient Living

My harvests have ranged from disappointing to mediocre. Only one year my

harvest produced enough to share with others. I'm still trying to remember
how I

did that. So far, I've been unable to duplicate the results.

One thing I do quite well is weeds. I try not to take too much credit here,
but I have

to tell you I've never seen anyone else grow weeds quite as successfully as
I do.

While I love the concept of a garden that's not only nice to look at but
actually

produces something we can eat, I'm not 100 percent in love with the anxiety,

pressure, guilt, backaches, leg cramps, and fear of needing hip
replacements.

While in the past my efforts to garden have been more of a hobby than a
serious

endeavor, I feel that changing. The high cost of food-specifically
produce-tells

me it's time to get serious. We need to become more self-sufficient, but in
a cost-

effective way.

While I feel that I've mastered weeds, I've failed miserably in cost
effectiveness. I

shudder to imagine the true cost of the pathetically tiny bounty I've
garnered over

the years. That doesn't mean I'm ready to give up on vegetable gardening,
only

that I'm ready for a new way to do it.

Mel Bartholomew is the genius behind the concept of "square foot gardening"
and

author of the new, updated All New Square Foot Gardening (Cool Springs
Press,

2013).

Bartholomew, a civil engineer by profession and a frustrated gardener on

weekends, became convinced that gardening in single rows because "that's the

way we've always done it," is a waste of time, energy and money.

He condensed his garden to above-the-ground, 6-inch deep plots measuring
four

feet by four feet, which yielded 100 percent of the harvest in 20 percent of
the

space-without all the hard work and drudgery of single-row gardening.

This method is easy to understand even for beginners. A square foot garden

requires 80 percent less space and can be located anywhere-even on a patio,

balcony or driveway. But you can expect twice the harvest of a
regular-sized

garden.

A square foot garden, which can be as small as two feet square, is simple to

protect from weather and pests. And, best of all, this kind of garden is
very

productive.

A square foot garden can be created and maintained by those with physical

limitations, as the boxes can be raised to an appropriate height.

You can start a square foot garden in any season. Planting requires no
thinning, no

tilling and very few seeds. And did I mention no weeds? None. Zip. Nada.

Here's Bartholomew's quick 5 step plan:

1. Pick an area that gets six to eight hours of sunshine daily.

2. Stay clear of trees and shrubs where roots and shade may interfere.

3. Have it close to the house for convenience.

4. Existing soil is not really important as you won't be using it.

5. The area should not puddle after a heavy rain.

I highly recommend that if you have any interest at all in pursuing a square
foot

garden, that you invest in Bartholomew's book. Presently simply and
visually, this is a resource that will return its value hundreds of times
over in home-grown

bounty and I'm talking about so much, you'll have plenty to share.

---Mary Hunt's Everyday Cheapskate blog

*4) How to Win Over Temptation

By Mary Hunt on 04/20/15

If you've ever stopped by the store to pick up milk and walked out with a

week's worth of snacks to go with it, you know the power of temptation.

Experts say the typical adult is exposed to 3,500 commercial ads in any
given day.

These hidden persuaders are designed to manipulate our behaviors. With

consumer debt at an all time high, it would appear that as a nation we've
been

losing a lot of battles with temptation.

Photo Credit: jajja

But it is possible to learn how to face down temptation, and win.

Identify the weakness. `Fess up. What are your areas of temptation? Clothes,

shoes, collectibles? Movies, food, gadgets? Electronics, crafts, plants?

Stop flirting with danger. If you're ever going to win over temptation you
must

stop cozying up to the very thing that causes you to stumble. If you are
easily

tempted by clothes, don't spend hours cruising the mall. In fact, don't even
go

there unless you have a specific need and a reasonable plan.

Don't open mail order catalogs. Take them to the garbage and push them way

down to the bottom to head off a middle-of-the-night retrieval.

Develop a diversion. Temptation is usually fueled by emotion, rarely by
reason. It

comes and goes depending on our moods and thoughts, and can come quite

unexpectedly. When it whispers in your ear, divert your attention to
something

equally enjoyable but less injurious to your financial health. For me it's
ironing. You

might be more drawn to a book or crossword puzzle. Or a nap.

Identify true needs. Here's the difference between a need and a temptation:

Needs are never realized while standing in the aisle of a store, while
flipping

through the pages of a catalog, surfing eBay or watching the Home Shopping

Network. Those sudden desires are temptations. You, not retailers or
advertisers,

should set your own agenda. And if you don't have a need, don't go shopping.

You'll only set yourself up for a fall.

Assess the true cost. When you spend compulsively you're doing more than

giving into temptation. If paying with credit that you cannot repay fully in
the month

you make the purchase, you're building debt. That $30 item is going to cost
you

more like $60 or $75 by the time you finally pay for it depending on your
interest

rate. If you pay with cash, you're also giving up the opportunity to put
that money to

work for you for the rest of your life. The money you spend plus the
foregone

interest earnings represents the real cost of spending-the opportunity cost.

Seek accountability. It takes a great deal of courage and character to be

accountable to another person for your actions and behaviors, but it's one
of the

best ways to win over temptation. Make a pact with your spouse or other
friend.

Set an amount over which you will not spend without first discussing. Set

boundaries and then ask for help to stay within them.

Winning over temptation is as rewarding as it is hard work. It takes
commitment,

tenacity and for some a great steam iron.

---Everyday Cheapskate blog

*5) My Perfect Kitchen Trash Can and Perfectly

Cheap Bags, Too!

By Mary Hunt

I know "hate" is a strong word, but that's how I feel about trash. Can't
stand it. But

my loathing for trash is nothing compared to Lauren Singer, who has been
trash-

free for two years. It's hard to imagine such a thing, but after hearing her
story,

she's got my attention.

The entire amount of trash Lauren has produced in 24 months fits into a
pint-size

Mason jar.

photo credit: TrashIsForTossers

I can't say I'm anywhere close to Lauren when it comes to trash. I'm in that
stage

where I need a proper trash receptacle strategically located by my desk and
in

every other room of the house and garage as well. The most important
receptacle

is in the kitchen. It needs to be substantial in size, handy by location, as
attractive

as possible, impeccably clean and covered.

I have tested, tried and or reviewed every kind of trash receptacle in my
search for

the most perfect product out there. I have come to the well-educated opinion
that

stainless steel trash cans by Simple Human are the very best. I have the
30-litre/8

gallon round step can model in my kitchen.

This beauty fits in a corner, against a wall-just about anywhere. It has a

removable rigid liner for easy cleaning. The steel pedal is sturdy and the
lid gives a

smooth, silent close every time. It does not show fingerprints-also a big
deal for

me.

As much as I love this can, it comes with a problem: expensive trash bag
refills.

The folks at Simple Human insist that I need to use the bags designed
especially

for this can. And boy, are they expensive-at least $.25 per bag.

You know me-I'm always looking for a cheaper alternative and that's what I
did

for my lovely stainless steel trash can. I decided to use Kirkland
Drawstring Kitchen

Bags instead of the Simple Human brand, at about $.10 per bag. I get these
at

Costco, but Kirkland brand products are also available online without a
Costco

membership.

This is a cheaper alternative for sure but as I learned quickly, not so
attractive.

Suddenly, I realized why Simple Human had to make special bags for this

receptacle and why the rigid liner in a Simple Human trash can has a hole at
the

top at the back of the liner. Bingo! That's is the secret.

Let me explain how to use that hole to make an alternative bag work
perfectly:

1. Notice that a Kirkland bag has seams on two sides with the drawstrings in
the

middle front and back.

2. Grab the top of one of the seams and tie a knot.

3. Place the bag in the rigid liner then feed the tail of the knot from the
outside

through that hole and pull it inside the can, including the knot itself.

4. Stretch the top of the bag around the liner, which will now fit snuggly,
and push

the bulk of the bag into the liner.

5. Place the liner back into the can.

Voila! A perfect fit that completely hides the trash bag with the lid closed
and

leaves the drawstrings intact for easy removal and tying closed when the can
is

full.

I'm a bit jealous knowing that Lauren Singer does not spend money on trash
cans.

She doesn't waste money on trash bags either.

Lauren's example has given me a renewed desire to cut down on trash in every

way possible.

In the meantime, I couldn't be happier with my Simple Human can and super

cheap trash bags.

www.everydaycheapskate.com

*6) Wedding Trivia

Contributed by Trish

If you thought the wedding tradition of "something old, something new..." is

odd, read about some other unusual wedding traditions from around the world.

For instance, in Scotland there is a tradition known as blackening of the

bride.

This involves dumping flour, tar, spoiled food (and whatever else they can

get their hands on) on the bride and groom. The ritual is meant to ward off

evil spirits. Hope the bride doesn't spend too much on her wedding dress!

In South Asian weddings, the bridesmaids steal the groom's shoes and hide

them on the day of the wedding, forcing him to be shoeless at the reception.

The younger crowd gathers to take part in a negotiation of how much money

the bridesmaids should get for the shoes.

In parts of Malaysia, newlywed couples aren't allowed to go to the washroom

for three days and nights after their wedding. It's believed that it will

bring back luck, such as divorce or infertility.

In Danish weddings, if the bride or groom leaves the other's side, the

remaining spouse gets swarmed with kisses from the wedding party until their

better half returns.

Weddings in Cuba can be difficult to afford. To have enough money for the

honeymoon, the guests at the wedding do a money dance. Every man who dances

with the bride pins money on your dress.

At Jewish weddings at which the parents' last child is married, a special

dance called the Mizinke is performed. The bride and groom give the parents

crowns of flowers to wear, and guests make a circle and dance around them,

coming forward to wish them 'mazel tov.'

In Yemen, the groom's father throws raisins on the ground for guests to pick

up. Raisins are meant to symbolize happiness for the happy couple.

*7) Windows Sounds Orchestrated

Here is a lot of work by some one who has too much free time. It is however
quite a talented arrangement.

Visit the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGKwx-BFO0E

Psalm 103:17
But from everlasting to everlasting the LORD's love is with those who fear
him <http://christianity.about.com/od/topicaldevotions/qt/fearofthelord.htm>
, and his righteousness with their children's children- (NIV)
<http://christianity.about.com/od/faqhelpdesk/p/newinternationa.htm>

To subscribe to Dan's tips or HotSpot with God Daily Devotional, send a
blank message to dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx and include "subscribe Dan's Tips" or
Subscribe HotSpot with God" in the subject line.