[accesscomp] FW: 10 ways Apple, Google and others will change the way you drive, Dan's Tip for Friday August 15 2014

  • From: "Robert Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tektalk discussion" <tektalkdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 09:22:04 -0700

Robert Acosta, President

Helping Hands for the Blind

(818) 998-0044

www.helpinghands4theblind.org

From: dan Thompson [mailto:dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, August 15, 2014 8:04 AM
To: dan Thompson
Subject: 10 ways Apple, Google and others will change the way you drive,
Dan's Tip for Friday August 15 2014

Shared by one of our members.  Thanks very much for this qite informative
and eye opening article.  Whell maybe not so much eye opening for us totally
blind persons, smile.

Have a great weekend!

Apple and Google are driving toward the connected car. Government and car
manufacturers are working with them to achieve this. This isn't just about
sending emails or music playback -- driving will be changed forever. Your
car will speak to you. Here are 10 ways driving will change:

Car: "Your heart rate and pulse show me you're a little tired. Would you
like me to cool the cabin and play loud music?"

Plessey Semiconductors is developing seat sensors that mean your car will
respond to your physical condition. As in-car telematics become accessible
using smartphones, further opportunities will emerge.

Car: "You seem to be driving to the theatre, would you like me to find and
book you a parking space?"

Location services combined with your car's understanding of the places you
go mean your vehicle will be able to work with smart transit and parking
allocation systems.

Car: "You need to top up the engine fluids and the tires need inflating."

Your car carries a ton of sensors. These are already used in crash scene
evidence collection and an app called Automatic can access this information
in some cars now. One day, all your mobile devices will do the same.

Phone rings: "Hi there, this is your car, I'm just calling to let you know
someone else is sitting in the driver's seat. Do you want me to authorize
them to drive, or shall I disable myself."

A camera in the rear view mirror will run a facial scan. Apple's Touch ID in
the steering wheel or on your phone could be deployed to boost such security
features.

Car: "I see we are in slow moving traffic. Would you like me to take over so
you can read some emails?"

Renault's vision for self-driving cars sees you in control. Drive your car
if you want, or hand over to autopilot when that makes sense.

Car: "A driver in the next street is driving erratically. Slow down.
Beware."

Cars won't just talk to you and to service providers. They will also speak
with each other. They will know how you drive, and warn their drivers
accordingly.

Phone call to emergency services: "Hi there, this is a silver Audi on Route
57. I've been in an accident. Please send help."

Europe's 'eCall' law comes into effect in 2015. All new cars will be
required to host an embedded SIM and mobile connectivity to alert emergency
services in case of theft of accident.

Car: "You have been speeding. I have contacted law enforcement and you have
been issued a ticket."

These connected solutions sound impressive, but intelligence works both
ways. Poor drivers will be penalized: "For your protection".

How much will you pay? Making it compulsory for new cars to carry SIMs mean
they must be online. Carriers will want to charge. Drivers will pay.
Carriers will offer additional services for additional fees.

Insurers will love this. Insurance firms are already offering Pay How You
Drive policies, in which drivers agree to put connected sensors in their
cars which measure things like braking speed, acceleration and more. The
theory is solid -- safe drivers pay less -- but will there come a point when
car insurance is no longer necessary? One thing's for sure, car insurers
will do everything they can to maintain the existence of the vehicle
insurance cash cow.

Love it or loathe it, the way you drive is going to change. Think about this
when you decide between Apple's CarPlay or Android Auto.

"Without the Way there is no going; without the Truth there is no knowing;
without the Life there is no living."

-Thomas A Kempis

To subscribe to Dan's tips or dedaily devotions, send an email to
dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx with either "subscribe dan's tips" or "subscribe daily
devotion" in the subject.

This message has been scanned by Norton 360