[accessbangla] Re: launch of a new online museum

  • From: Nafees Rahman <nafees1962@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: accessbangla@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 16:00:32 +0000 (GMT)

Dear Vashkar
  Greetings from NFOWD!
  Thank you so much for sharing this news. I am sure you know how truly busy we
are at NFOWD going through the final preparations of the forthcoming 2nd Asian
Conference of Deafblind International.

  Upon receiving your mail, I just clicked into the website, and for two hours
was totally engrossed into reading through the whole series of documents.
Indeed we have known about Helen Keller and her teacher Anne Sullivan Macy. But
this is way above what we had known for so long, and gives such a brilliant and
vivid description of how important a role she had played for the education of
the people with hearing & visual impairments, especially the deafblind! I
believe that anyone and everyone working in the field of disability should go
through this website. So I am forwarding it to the DID Network of CSID for
greater circulation, just in case you had not sent it to them earlier yourself.

  Thank you again for this eye opener. Keep up the good work you are doing.

  Best wishes

  Nafees

Vashkar <vashkar79@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
          The American Foundation for the Blind (AFB) is pleased to announce the
launch of a new online museum dedicated to Anne Sullivan Macy, Helen
Keller's teacher and pioneer in the field of education for the blind and
visually impaired:

  http://www.afb.org/AnneSullivan

  Anne is best known as the young woman who taught Helen how to communicate
with the outside world, and her work became the blueprint for the
education of children who were blind, deaf-blind, or visually impaired, a
model that continues today. Anne's achievements were so ahead of their
time that Samuel L. Clemens, known more popularly as Mark Twain, dubbed
her a "miracle worker."

  AFB's multimedia museum presents a marvelous and rich array of information
about Anne through photographs, letters, speeches, posters, comics,
newspaper cartoons, vaudeville scripts, and video clips.  The content
traces Anne's life from her impoverished childhood through her death in
1936. During her lifetime, Anne was hesitant to accept honors or accolades
for her work. However, her remarkable achievements are remembered to this
day, reflected in events such as her induction into the National Women's
Hall of Fame.

  AFB hopes that through this web site, a new generation will know Anne in
all her complexities. So visit Anne Sullivan Macy: Miracle Worker
(
http://www.afb.org/AnneSullivan)
today!

Dr Nafeesur Rahman
Director, NFOWD
8/9, Block-A, Lalmatia
Dhaka-1207, Bangladesh

Phone: 880-2-8120415, 9124487
Fax:     880-2-8120415, 9124487 (Ext-107) E-mail:  nfowd@xxxxxxxxxx,
nafees1962@xxxxxxxxx

The problem is not how to wipe out all differences,
But how to unite - with all differences intact.    -- Tagore